Chapter 1 (Edited)

I fixed my crooked glasses and tugged my hoodie over my head to hide myself from the world as I walked up the stairs, into school. I know it's stupid to pretend I can disappear into the background and hope that today would be different, that it would be semi-better than any other considering it's my last day but a girl can dream.

Of course, there were stares. If someone were to ask why, I would tell them I have no fucking idea. It could be because I'm quiet and I tolerate a lot of shit thrown at me, which makes me an easy target for those still lacking the understanding that humans have feelings.

A lot of the students in my school tend to give me looks, just for being quiet despite the fact I'm only social around my best friend, Amanda. And that's because I trust her, others in my past have pretended to be my friends out of 'sympathy' when I was fine with being alone, I'm not a social person. There's only really one person, out of the whole lot, that I wish I could tell off, put them in their place and that's Jack Reece.

I despise him though I try not to let him get to me since I'd like not to have him constantly on my mind because then that would give him satisfaction and boost his already inflated ego. He tends to 'pick on me' in simpler terms the most, making sure I don't forget that he likes to intimidate me just because he can.

Our principal does shit about stuff like this, he shrugs it off and turns his head the other way or just says, 'don't say bad things to one another'. As if that line will magically make people be less horrible.

"I'm here! I'm not late! I promise I didn't sleep in and run here!" I heard the familiar voice of my best friend echo through the hallways. I winced when more eyes were directed towards me. Amanda immediately threw her arms around me, hugging me close tightly.

"Ah, hi," I awkwardly greeted. "You good?"

"No! You are going to be leaving me after today! Why can't you pack me into one of your giant suitcases or in a box with some food and water and like a phone or some shit," Amanda whined dramatically making me laugh.

Amanda had actually genuinely asked me about a week ago when she slept over if she could be packed inside my suitcase and then proceeded to get into my unpacked one in my room to show me that she could fit inside with no problem.

"Because I told you before and I'll tell you again, I'm pretty sure I would get into some legal trouble trying to smuggle a full-grown person out of the state," I said slowly. Amanda stepped back, pouted and crossed her arms stubbornly.

"I can easily argue my way out," she argued. I rolled my eyes.

"Sure you can," I muttered sarcastically.

"Well, well, if it isn't the shrinking violet." I winced at the familiar voice that has tormented me for years. Fucking Jack Reece.

I hate that nickname, 'shrinking violet' and the sad thing is, it was something he learnt from English. I'm being called something that the school taught him to say and taught him the meaning of, how lovely and ironic. My god my luck is absolutely horrible, I need to hunt for those...was it a four-leaf clover? Yeah, I think that's it.

"Well, well, if it isn't the guy that doesn't know when to fuck off after being told to stay away," Amanda retorted for me since I stood frozen in front of her, not wanting to turn around and face him. I wonder if it's too late to run or hide or both. I hate confrontation yet I so much want to confront him for everything he has done.

"Defending her as always since I'm guessing Amy doesn't know how to speak for herself," he said with such a cocky tone. I hated it. I hated it so much. His voice alone annoys me, it irritates me to such a high extent. Amanda gave him the finger with an intimidating stare that probably wasn't intimidating to him.