Chapter 20 (Edited)

I watched as Amanda kept staring towards John in the distance, who was talking to Jack. She had a frown across her lips and she seemed to be in deep thought. She can't seriously believe that I don't know about her feelings for him? I've known since our sophomore year even though she's tried to hide it. Her perception of him made her push down any slightly good thing she thought about him and let it control her. I can see she still likes him but, of course, she's stubborn and won't admit it.

"Amanda?" I called out. She turned towards me.

"Huh?"

"You're staring," I pointed out.

"Sorry," she mumbled, staring at her lap now.

"Are you ok?" I asked, tilting my head with a frown and furrowed eyebrows. She sighed.

"Yeah, I'll be fine, I'm just confused but nothing to worry about," she reassured me with a smile. I nodded.

"Hello, ladies!" Sarah greeted as she approached us.

Oh dear god. Just when I thought I could avoid her. I don't even mean that in a bad way, I mean it in a guilty sense because of course, that's what I am. I hate this, the burden of having a secret and the guilt of my actions. If only it were easy to just...say it. Just tell her and get it over with but I can't. The fear loomed over me like a gloomy cloud on a day where thunder and heavy rain would appear. I didn't want to lose a friend that's helped me so much in such a short time.

I greeted Sarah in a quiet mumble. Amanda was glancing towards me, probably waiting to see if I'll say anything today or refrain from admitting the disastrous truth. It was either now or later and I knew if I prolonged the wait, it wouldn't help the situation, if anything it would probably make things much worse.

"What's going on?" Sarah asked slowly as she glanced between Amanda and me. I sighed.

"I have something to tell you," I told her.

"Oh god, did someone die? Did someone in one of your books die again?" she questioned jokingly.

"No, but I did almost kiss Jack yesterday," I admitted quietly. Sarah's eyes widened. "I stopped it before I actually did but I'm sorry, I never meant to do something that could hurt Dillon." It was silent between us.

"Sarah?" Amanda called out with a frown. Silence is never a good thing. In my mind, silence means bad news.

"I understand if you hate me for what I did to your brother-"

"I don't hate you."

I stared at her in disbelief. Now it was my turn to do the same, my eyes widened. That was exactly the opposite of what I was going for, even though I'm not complaining.

"Why?" I asked, tilting my head.

"Because as long you stopped it, I don't have a problem," she shrugged.

I dropped the topic, satisfied with the outcomes but deep down, I was suspicious of her reaction. No one would be that chill overhearing that. I know it doesn't involve her but I thought she would condemn me or something for what I did to her brother. I guess I should be happy she didn't freak out or tell me off and that she's still my friend but what if she's hiding something? But I'm sure she would tell me, maybe, I'm not so sure now.

When the bell rang, I waved goodbye to Amanda and Sarah. I changed out of my clothes into my sports gear since today was basketball day, my favourite, something that I pray will bring my mood up. I rummaged through my bag, looking for my phone, my precious life, until my hand brushed against some leather fabric. I frowned. It felt like a book but I didn't have any in here, not that I'm aware of anyway.