Chapter 2

The songs I listened to while writing: Send Them Off! by Bastille, Back in Black by AC/DC and Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls.

*

I gripped my Nimbus, palms sweaty. My robes seemed heavier than usual but I pushed my nerves aside, focusing on the thrill that was to come.

"Good morning students."

"Good morning, Madam Hooch," we chorused.

Madam Hooch was a striking woman, with spiked grey hair and piercing yellow eyes. She reminded me of a bird - perhaps in parallel with her flying ability. Quickly, she paced between the two rows of us. Ravenclaws and Slytherins stood facing the Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs. Sasha was next to me, practically bouncing already. She couldn't wait to leave the ground and, to my surprise, neither could I!

"Now, I know some of you have spent your entire summer flying," she continued, looking primarily at the quidditch players, "but for those that haven't, this is the perfect opportunity for you to get back in the air. You'll be allowed up in groups of six. No flying over the forest or the river. Stay only around the castle and do not go too high."

I shared an excited glance with Sasha.

"First group. Macrae, Lurie, Brabbing, Wood, Preden and Y/L/N."

I flinched inwardly. Malcolm Macrae was a Slytherin chaser, Abigail Lurie was a ferocious beater for Hufflepuff, Oliver was keeper and captain for Gryffindor, and Sasha was Ravenclaw captain. The only people that weren't quidditch players were Gillian Brabbing - my roommate - and me.

"I'll a blow my whistle after ten minutes," Madam Hooch continued, "then you will fly back here immediately. On you go and stay safe. You know the rules."

The second the words left her lips, Oliver, Malcolm and Abigail kicked off, gliding higher and higher. Sasha grinned eagerly at me before starting too. I took a deep breath and told myself to keep calm, before pushing off the ground.

Wind whooshed past my ears, whipping my hair behind me. A smile grew on my face as I laughed, completely ecstatic. Now high above the field, I turned my broom and flew between the stone turrets. This was flying!

I flew above the astronomy tower, circled the quidditch pitch and dived low over the Black Lake. The water glistened in the sunlight, drawing me in. I descended until I was less than a metre above the surface. Breathing deeply, I let go of my broom with my left hand and leaned to the side. My legs squeezed the handle, petrified of slipping. Slowly, slowly, I relaxed my arm, allowing it to dip closer to the water. When my trembling fingertips touched the surface, it was like an electric shock.

The water was bitter, but I dipped my hand deeper. Still flying at a significant speed, the lake sprayed around my hand. Droplets of the Black Lake occasionally hit my bare skin, sending chills throughout my entire body. The experience was incredible and I couldn't stop myself from cheering in delight! Everything seemed perfect in that moment.

"Having fun, Y/N?"

I glanced up, snapped out of my trance. Oliver Wood was hovering above me, smiling kindly.

"Yes!" I answered.

"Mind if I join you?" he asked.

"No, not at all."

He flew down next to me, also dipping his hand into the water. Instantly, his face radiated and his brown eyes shone. "This is amazing!" he exclaimed. "Wow!"

After a few seconds of this, I decided to start heading back in the general direction of the field to avoid being late - something I loathed. I shook my hand dry and climbed higher. Oliver joined me.