Chapter 39

I listened to DONTTRUSTME by 3OH!3, Knee Socks by the Arctic Monkeys and Do You Feel Loved by U2.

Please vote and comment <3

*

Gillian didn't cross my mind until the next morning. I was looking forward to a relaxing Sunday because I'd finish my homework for the week so was lounging in front of the fireplace in the common room.

"I have something to tell you!"

My entire body jerked upwards in fright. I turned around and saw Sasha standing behind the armchair, a cheeky grin on her face.

"I hate you," I spat.

"I know. But Oliver said he has something to show you. He wanted to meet you on the pitch," Sasha explained, pulling me off the chair. I then noticed that she was wearing quidditch robes. "Felix wanted us to get some quick practice in, maybe explore potential plays."

I smirked at the idea of Sasha and Felix practising quidditch together. Surely I couldn't have been the only one who realised how... wonderfully close the pair had become.

"Tell Oliver I'll be there as soon as I can."

She nodded.

*

Fully dressed in my blue and bronze robes, I grabbed my broom before heading out to the quidditch pitch. There was a slight anxiety burning in my gut as there always was when somebody told me they wanted to show me something.

My fingers wrapped around my broom handle a bit tighter.

I didn't see Oliver at first. Felix and Sasha were darting around the goals, throwing a quaffle at each other. They were both laughing and I smiled to myself.

After scanning the stands a few more times, I noticed Oliver sitting in the far corner, his broom next to him.

I mounted mine and leisurely flew over. It could've been my hopeful imagination, but I think his face brightened a little when he saw me. I hovered a few feet in front of him.

"I was told there was something you wanted to show me," I said, jerking my head in Sasha's direction.

Oliver picked up his broom. There was a spark of excitement in his eyes that calmed my nerves.

"Just follow me," he said.

I waved at Sasha before flying after Oliver. I wasn't sure where he was taking me until he circled behind the quidditch pitch, straying further away from the castle. I managed to hold in my queries until he flew lower. Having not been here in a while, I almost didn't recognise it.

"The Black Lake?" I asked.

He nodded as a reply and set his broom against a tree. I did the same, watching as Oliver walked along the short boardwalk and sat at the end. Taking off his shoes and socks, he dangled his feet in the water.

I took off my shoes and socks too so I could join him. Only after my feet were submerged did I remember the creatures that lived in the Black Lake.

"That giant squid could capture us with its tentacles at any moment," I said. "Or maybe some merpeople will pull us underwater by our ankles and we'll drown."

"How optimistic," Oliver chuckled, kicking my foot lightly. The sudden movement sent a splash of cold water onto my lap. I watched in horror as the fabric around my inner thighs darkened.

"Well then. Now it looks like I've wet myself."

Oliver suppressed a laugh and I narrowed my eyes at him. Trying to get my revenge, I splashed him back. My attempt wasn't half as successful as his, although I did get his calves wet.

I was about to ask him why he brought me here, but then my mind flicked back to the first flying lesson that we had this year. Prior to the lesson, I'd been so nervous and excited at the same time. I remembered flying low over the water of the Black Lake, my hand skimming the surface.

And Oliver had joined me.

"You brought me here because of that flying lesson?" I said, looking up at him.

"I did. I thought it was a nice moment for us if we forget about the saving Gillian fiasco."

I giggled. I had genuinely erased that part from my memory. Not on purpose, of course.

"On the bright side," Oliver continued, "it's when I first used that 'I'm a keeper' line on you. And you didn't slap me for it so I suppose that was a good sign."

"What can I say?" I laughed. "I appreciate a well-constructed joke."

He smiled at me and I felt a little breathless. "It's also when I started to fancy you."

Raising an eyebrow, I decided to tease him a little. "So those compliments on my flying were just so you could get me to go out with you?"

Oliver chuckled to himself and put an arm around my shoulders. "Possibly. It worked though. And seeing you save Gillian from the Whomping Willow really sealed the deal for me. My heroic Y/N."

Softly, I pressed my lips against his cheek. I loved it when Oliver was sweet like this. It always cemented my gratitude towards him. I was so lucky.

"I love you," I murmured, my lips brushing his skin.

His face now a slight shade of pink, he turned to look at me. His nose bumped mine and I giggled quietly.

"I love you too."

He pressed a quick kiss to my lips. I rest my head on his shoulder and gazed at the wonderful scenery in front of us. Fond memories of flying across the water wandered back into my head and I smiled absent-mindedly.

The weight of recent events had made me unusually tired lately. Added on top of increasing homework, the amount of sleep I'd been getting was dwindling to unhealthily low numbers. Exhausted, I allowed myself to shut my eyes.

I must've fallen asleep because the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was a crackling fireplace. I yawned. Rubbing my eyes, I slowly eased myself into an upright position. I had been lying on the sofa. My feet were in Oliver's lap. My movement made him turn to me.

"Morning, princess."

"What time is it?" I groaned, stretching my arms above my head. I suppressed another yawn.

"Close to nine, I think."

I flopped back down, before glancing at Oliver again. He was moving his hand up and down my calf.

"Thank you so much for bringing me back here," I said. "How did you manage it?" I genuinely had no idea how Oliver brought my sleeping self back to the common room as well as two brooms.

He shrugged. "50% magic and 50% muscles, I suppose."

"Another opportunity to impress me?"

"Hey! Why can't it just be my pure kindness for once?" Oliver protested, placing a hand on his chest. He paused a moment before continuing, "But while I was trying to be kind, I couldn't help it if you were going to be impressed when you woke up."

"It worked," I replied, "because I'm impressed, thankful and proud of you."

I leaned my head back against the arm of the sofa and shut my eyes. Everything was so peaceful. The last thing I heard before I fell asleep was Oliver's soft voice saying good night.