Chapter 13

The songs for this chapter are Note to Self by Jake Bugg, Misery Business by Paramore and Best of You by the Foo Fighters.

I've come up with a schedule for updates - I'm aiming to release a chapter every Sunday to give this some regularity instead of random updates. Hope that helps :)

*

I swallowed. I knew what he meant, of course, but it still made butterflies swarm my stomach. Slowly, I rose and went to Sasha.

"How flirty," she whispered, winking.

I hid my smile, taking the small gift from her. It was a cube, wrapped in delicate teal paper. The folds were immaculate. I almost didn't want to open it. Oliver was grinning when I sat down again.

"Open it," he prompted.

Carefully, I pulled back the paper. It revealed a dark velvet box. I opened it, and inhaled sharply. Lying inside was a stunning silver necklace complete with an infinity sign made of small crystals in various shades of blue and green.

"It's amazing, Oliver," I breathed, removing it from the box. He took the necklace from my hands and clasped it around my neck.

"It looks great on you," he commented.

Maybe it was the firelight, or maybe I was seeing things, but I swore I saw a gentle blush on his face.

"Thank you so much."

"My pleasure."

I continued watching people receiving their presents, running my fingers over the pendant every so often. I couldn't help it. It was so beautiful. Oliver must've spent a long time looking for a gift for me, as I did for him.

After all the presents had been claimed, we returned to the seats in front of the fireplace and opened any gifts that were still wrapped. Naturally, I felt a twinge of jealousy whenever someone received a particularly great present. I sucked it up though, grateful for what my friends had given me.

I excused myself to go put my presents on my bed. I kept the necklace on, however, as it was my favourite. The minuscule gemstones glittered in the soft light. I went back to the common room and took my place next to Oliver. He had his arm slung behind me and I jumped when I leant against it.

Neither of us moved. Instead, I relaxed against his arm and ignored Sasha's widening eyes.

*

Everyone sat together at lunch, basking in the wonderfully decorated Great Hall. The undeniable centrepiece was the magnificent Christmas tree that stood proudly at the end of the room. Light shined off the hundreds of baubles and other ornaments that hung on the emerald branches.

I noticed Harry Potter sitting with some friends at the other side of the table but turned away before he saw me staring. I felt bad watching his every move.

"As soon as the food comes out, I get the first choice for everything," Louise declared, "and I do not care if your feelings are hurt because I'm hungry."

"Um, I'm hungry too and I could theoretically take back that Cecille Tarenda book if I was blocked from getting my food," I replied.

Louise gasped. "You wouldn't dare."

Oliver leant forward, resting his elbows on the table. "Knowing Y/N, I can say with complete certainty that she would fight you to the death to get a roast potato before you."

"Knowing us, we'd all fight each other to get the first piece of food," Sasha remarked.

"I'd just ignore you and get mine while you're throwing punches," Aleeza added.

It was a few more minutes before the food appeared. I had to sit back and take it all in before actually moving to grab some. Along the entire table were plates heaped with hot, delicious foods: mountains of roast potatoes seasoned with fresh rosemary; crisp brown turkeys stuffed full; gorgeous brussels sprouts and other vegetables mixed in with small pieces of bacon and every other Christmassy food I could imagine.

I didn't waste any more time ogling the food. I grabbed my plate and filled it with even amounts of everything.

*

The selection at the feast was even more incredible, and I took pieces of everything. I was chewing my second roast potato when Dumbledore tapped his glass.

"It has been a fine term at Hogwarts," he began, sending us into silence. "I daresay the rest of the year will be even more exciting. You have all made so many new relationships and built on existing ones. Christmas is a magical time and your friends are the ones that make it so special." He raised his glass. "Here's to a wonderful life."

We raised our glasses and repeated the phrase, before gladly returning to our meal.

*

Aleeza, Louise, Sasha, Oliver and a couple others went back to the common room.

"I seriously think I've expanded since lunch," Sasha groaned, easing onto the sofa. She rubbed her stomach.

"Me too," I said. I then proceeded to try and sit down. However, Oliver happened to be in my vicinity and I stumbled into him. "Sorry!" I squeaked, promptly sitting down.

The five of us chatted for nearly an hour until Louise broke the steady stream of mediocre conversation. She pointed up to the ceiling, a look of wonder plastered on her face.

"Guys," she whispered, "it's mistletoe."