Chapter 20

This chapter's songs are Holy Mountain by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Going Under by Evanescence and Ho Hey by the Lumineers.

So I've had this idea that I'd like to try out because I've read other fanfics with it and they've been very effective: song chapters. That is, chapters that follow the plot of a song or are based on the lyrics. So let me know what you guys think or if you have any requests! Your feedback is always appreciated.

Also...we hit 1000 reads! I'm honestly blown away! It's incredible to think that what started as a simple story idea that wandered into my head while reading Harry Potter turned into this. It's also crazy that people have clicked on The Keeper over 1000 times! Every read means so much to me, so thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I love you all so much and I'm forever grateful.

Please vote and comment <3

*

For the first time in a long time, I was entirely at peace. Oliver's arms were around my torso and his chin was on top of my head. I realised that he was one of the only people I felt comfortable being silent with so I made the most of my time.

Occasionally, I felt his fingers twisting through the ends of my hair, twirling the strands around. We stayed there, quiet, until the sky was nearly dark. I didn't want to say anything that would force us to leave. The day had been so...perfect. Oliver was perfect. But I knew that I had a lot of work to catch up on tomorrow and I needed some sleep.

"Please don't take this the wrong way," I began softly, "but maybe we should head back. It's getting late and we both have work to do tomorrow."

He unwound a lock of my hair from around his finger. "No, you're probably right. After you."

I leant forward, out of Oliver's arms. It felt like there was something missing now we had no contact. Brushing the thought aside, I gently slid off the branch, landing crouched on the ground. My ankles stung at the impact. A few seconds later, Oliver landed next to me. He offered me his arm so I took it.

"Shall we?" he said.

The walk back to the castle was very pleasant. We discussed our thoughts on everything, from quidditch (a topic that seemed to be talked about in any conversation with Oliver) to our aspirations. I learnt that Oliver wanted to play as the keeper for Puddlemere United, although this didn't surprise me. I assured him of his talent.

"If you keep playing at the standard you're playing, there's no way Puddlemere will turn you down," I insisted.

"You give me too much credit," he said.

"I don't, though. You don't give yourself enough."

"I could say the same thing about you, Y/N."

"See, compliments from you make me feel great because you're such an amazing player."

"Likewise."

The battle of the compliments stretched until we reached the point where our paths had to split. I was glad there were no students, or paintings, for that matter, hanging around. I did not want any eavesdropping.

"This is where I leave you," I said, rather sadly. I smiled up at him. "I had an incredible time today. Thank you so much."

"It was my pleasure," Oliver replied. "I had a great time too."

We stood like this, close, for a few seconds. Neither of us knew what to say. I decided to be bold and took a deep breath, before inching closer. Oliver's eyes met mine. In that moment, all distractions went away. It was just us.

Finally, finally, he moved in and kissed me, his hand cupping the side of my face. His lips were soft and it felt nothing short of amazing. I leant into his touch.

We pulled apart after a few seconds. I was breathless.

"I'll see you at breakfast tomorrow," he whispered, still touching my face.

"Good night," I replied softly, watching him leave. My feet remained planted on the floor until he was completely out of sight, and even then I was frozen. My legs were too weak to take a step. Oliver kissed me. Properly.

After taking a few seconds to breathe regularly, I made my way back to the common room. It was completely empty, a few strewn bits of parchment on the table in front of the fireplace. I opened the door to my dorm as quietly as possible, shutting it behind me.

Everyone was asleep, albeit in a variety of strange positions. Aleeza and Louise were on the former's bed, legs entangled above the duvet. A copy of Intermediate Transfiguration lay open by the pillow. Gillian was curled into a very tight ball, her covers pulled up to her nose. She was breathing heavily and it sounded like she had a cold. Sasha was lying with her feet on her pillow and her head by the end of the bed. Clutched in her arms were a quill and some parchment.

Thoughts of my date spun through my head as I changed into my pyjamas. It had been surreal. I couldn't wait to tell Sasha. But, more importantly, I couldn't wait for another date.

*

"Get up!"

I groaned.

"Get up get up get up!"

I groaned again and attempted to turn over, only to find myself unable to move. Yawning, I opened my eyes to see Sasha sitting on my legs, pinning me down.

"How was the date?" she squealed, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me vigorously.

"Oh my God, Sasha," I said. "Leave me alone. It's still dark outside."

"Yes, but I woke up early because I wanted to hear how it went." She inhaled sharply. "Did he," her voice dropped to a whisper, "propose to you?"

I lifted my knees abruptly, causing her to fall to the floor. "Go. Away."

*

Even though walking to breakfast felt like running a marathon, I did manage to catch another hour of sleep after Sasha's ruthless wake-up call. I took my usual seat next to Sasha and opposite Aleeza, Louise and Gillian. From my position, I had a perfect view of the Gryffindor table, and, coincidentally, Oliver.

He looked at me and smiled. I returned the smile but felt myself blushing furiously. Naturally, it only took a few seconds for Sasha to notice. She elbowed my side.

"You're adorable," she cooed.

"You're annoying," I replied.

The topic of Oliver was obviously brought up numerous times during breakfast. I diverted it everytime, however, as I desperately did not want to be made even more uncomfortable than I already was. The fact I could see him each time I looked up was not helpful. Because of this, I kept my eyes down mostly.

Breakfast was nearly over and I was so close to leaving unscathed. Then Sasha leant over to my ear.

"Look who's coming over."