Chapter 27

The songs I listened to are Parklife by Blur, I'm Back by Eminem and Make You Feel My Love by Adele.

Please vote and comment <3

*

The blood drained from my face and my mouth went dry. In my panic, I had forgotten that I would have to sleep in the same room as her. I wanted to scream.

"Get out!" Sasha yelled, even louder than she did before.

Gillian raised her hands defensively. She looked at me. I knew what she was thinking: I looked helpless, curled up on my bed, my face freshly covered in tears. And she was right. I was helpless. She had taken something so important and crushed it.

"Leave," I said. But my voice was minuscule.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" Gillian asked, cupping her ear mockingly.

"Leave!" I screamed. The volume hurt my throat. Both Sasha and Gillian jumped before regaining their composure.

Sasha turned to Gillian, her face stony. "You heard her," she snarled as she edged towards the door, slowly pushing her away. "Leave or I will make you leave. Don't come back until it's late. We don't want to see you."

She scoffed. I would've given anything to knock that smug look off her face. Finally, she pouted before turning to go, muttering under her breath. It felt like a weight had been lifted off my chest when she slammed the door behind her.

*

Surprisingly, Gillian listened to what Sasha had said. All of us were trying to sleep by the time she came through the door again. The other three were asleep, judging by their gentle snores. I did my best to stay completely still and silent. The last thing I wanted was for Gillian to suspect I was awake. But as luck would have it, that's exactly what happened.

"Are you going to keep pretending you're asleep?" she asked as she took off her shoes and sat on her bed.

I didn't respond, hoping that she wouldn't try again. Suddenly, I felt something hit me. I automatically sat upright, glaring at Gillian. She was missing a pillow which was now on the floor next to my bed.

"Really?" I spat. "What was that for?"

She shrugged. "Fun, I suppose."

Once again, I felt the almost uncontrollable need to physically attack her. Somehow, I managed to suppress it. With a huge amount of difficulty.

"Go to bed," I said. "I don't want to see you."

"Suit yourself," Gillian replied.

I rolled over so I didn't have to face her. I shut my eyes and waited to fall asleep.

*

Breakfast was just as difficult as I had expected it to be. Gillian was sat next to Oliver. She was attempting to eat but couldn't because of Oliver - he had his arm around her and kept trying to pull her into a kiss. I did my best not to look. But naturally, it was a conversation I would not be able to escape.

"It's odd," Louise remarked.

"What is?" Aleeza said.

Louise cocked her head and narrowed her eyes as she looked at the couple. "He's very desperate for her attention. Look. She's barely managed to eat a mouthful of food."

"I think he's just more honest about how he feels now that I'm out of the picture," I muttered. It made sense. Now that Oliver didn't have to worry about how I felt, he could be as open as he wanted around Gillian. That didn't mean it hurt any less, however.

Louise shrugged. "I just think it's unnatural, the way he seems to be worshipping her."

The idea of Oliver worshipping Gillian made me feel sick. Sick enough to put down my fork and push my plate away. Sasha picked up on my reaction and gave Louise a look.

"How about we drop the topic, alright?" she suggested, a hint of force in her voice. "Not the best subject right now."

I'm always grateful for Sasha's perceptiveness. It outweighs Louise's desire to speak her emotions.

"True," Louise said. She gently touched my hand. "Sorry about that. I won't bring it up. Promise."

I nodded. "Thank you."

*

Potions was the first subject today. I really was not in the mood to endure Professor Snape. Nevertheless, I dropped into my chair and prayed for the lesson to go as quickly as possible. It didn't help that Gillian was sitting directly two rows behind me.

The professor eventually swooped grandly through the doorway a minute or so after the last student had taken their seat. His robes flapped behind him as he made his way to the front of the class. Before he began, he observed us suspiciously through narrowed eyes.

"I trust you all completed the reading I assigned last lesson," the professor said monotonously. "If you haven't, you will find the following task arduous. I expect you to view it as a punishment for not completing your work." I suppose it was useful that I was too terrified of Professor Snape to leave any work unfinished. He whipped out a stack of parchment from his drawer and placed two sheets on each desk. "I expect you all to write at least one side on one of the advanced potions I showed you."

He went on to explain what our essay should consist of. He wanted things such as properties, uses and dangers. I knew I'd find the task relatively easy considering the fact he chose me to examine some last lesson.

"Write the name of your chosen potion at the top of your sheet," the professor instructed, returning to his desk. "You will have the full lesson to write as much as you can. You may no more than four sides. But bear in mind, if you do not complete one side you must finish your writing in your own time. Begin."

I dabbed my quill into my inkpot and delicately wrote amortentia at the top of my parchment. Sasha, who was sat to my left, nudged me softly. I looked up, paranoid that Professor Snape was watching. He wasn't, so I met Sasha's gaze.

"Good luck," she whispered.

I hoped I wouldn't need it.