Chapter 21

Before I start, I want to apologise a million times for my lack of activity recently. I've been in Switzerland for Christmas and have had extremely little time to get any writing done. I love this story (and you) so much and I can't say sorry enough for disappearing. Also, sorry if the format looks a little different - I had to update this on mobile.

The songs for this chapter are Chance by Big Country, I'm Back by Eminem and Come Together by The Beatles.

Please vote and comment <3

*

If my cheeks weren't crimson before, they certainly were now. I grabbed Sasha's hand under the table and she gave mine an assuring squeeze, accompanied by a soft smile.

"You're dating now," she said quietly. "It's okay. Breathe."

Breathing seemed to be Sasha's go-to word for advice. But I knew it worked, so I did as she recommended and felt calmer, which was convenient as Oliver had walked up next to me. I bit my lip.

"Can I sit?" he asked, gesturing at the empty space to my left.

I nodded. Oliver slid onto the bench and put his elbows on the table. I noticed everyone eyeing us with a mixture of suspicion and curiosity.

"Hello, Oliver," Gillian said, edging closer to the table and therefore him. She propped her chin on her hands.

I instinctively clenched my fist. Leave him alone.

"Hi," he replied flatly, before turning away from her. "Y/N, I just wanted to say hello after last night."

Aleeza and Louise perked up immediately, but Gillian's face contorted into a sneer. At that moment, I wanted nothing more than to throttle her. I decided, however, that it was best to keep my violent imagination suppressed.

"That's very thoughtful of you," I said, prompting Oliver to smile sincerely. "Thank you."

"My pleasure," he said. His voice dropped so only I could hear the following sentence. "I really like talking to you. You know that. I suppose I'll make any excuse to do so."

His words made me want to melt. How could one person do this to me? Nevertheless, I certainly wasn't complaining; I would be subjected to Oliver's kindness forever, if it was possible. Sasha gripped my knee under the table.

Suddenly, Gillian stood up. Her hands were planted firmly on the table, one either side of her plate. "I'm leaving now," she said. "I don't want to be late." Haughty, she glanced down at Aleeza and Louise who were trying to avoid her gaze. "You two should come, and Sasha. We wouldn't want to bother dear Y/N and Oliver."

Gillian left promptly. The other three looked at each other, awkward. I sensed they did want to leave Oliver and me alone, but didn't want to follow Gillian, who was waiting by the door of the Great Hall. Her arms were folded.

"I suppose we do have to go," Sasha said, standing. "But not that way." She beckoned for Aleeza and Louise to follow her, so they did. Smirking, Sasha strode to the doorway next to the one Gillian was standing in. The trio turned out of sight. This left a fuming Gillian to storm after them.

I looked at Oliver and chuckled.

"You'd think she'd learn to be me more discreet with her intentions for you," I remarked, drumming my fingers on the table. "I hope she backs off."

My anger with the subject seemed to show, because Oliver took my hand and stroked my palm with his thumb.

"For our sake, I hope she does too."

*

Sitting through Arithmancy was difficult. The class was smaller, so Professor Vector spent a lot of time working one-on-one with students. When she wasn't attending to you, it left you with the perfect opportunity for a good old fashioned chat. My classmates tended to seize that chance.

"Y/N," someone hissed to my right. "Hey, Y/N."

The source of the voice turned out to be a boy named Albert. He had golden blond hair paired with baby blue eyes and wore Gryffindor robes.

"What?" I responded, returning my gaze to the textbook on my desk.

"Is is true you're dating Oliver?" he asked eagerly.

I swallowed. "Why do you want to know?"

"It's all gossip, isn't it? I like gossip. It's proved very interesting in the past."

"So what you're saying," I began, "is that you find my personal matters interesting?"

"Yes," Albert stated. I lifted my head to face him and raised an eyebrow. "Don't mean to offend."

I exhaled sharply through my nose. I opened my mouth to speak, but played it off as a cough as Professor Vector made her way towards Albert.

"Less talking, Mr. Montgomery," she said, pointing her wand at his empty parchment. "I do believe you were instructed to write something down?"

"Yes, Professor," Albert mumbled.

"Speak up!" Professor Vector exclaimed.

"Yes, Professor," he repeated, louder.

"Good," she said. "Now the only reason I should come over heat again is to praise you. Get to work."

With a swish of her robes, the professor turned on her heel and returned to the student she was attending before.

"But you are dating him, then," Albert whispered.

"Mr. Montgomery!"