Chapter 12

The songs for this chapter are People are People by Depeche Mode, Song 2 by Blur and Someone Told Me by Jake Bugg.

So we reached 300 reads in less than a week? That's amazing? Every time I see a new reader my heart jumps with happiness so thank you so much!

Please vote and comment <3

*

My eyelids fluttered open. It was still dark. It must've been early, very early, so it was strange that I was awake. Except for today. Today was Christmas and therefore I must wake up at least an hour before I normally do.

I sat up slowly and surveyed the room. Sasha was curled under her duvet, her chest rising every time she took a breath. Aleeza was in the same position but Louise was missing. I assumed she was in the bathroom or putting out some last minute presents.

My hypothesis was confirmed when a half-asleep Louise stumbled back into the room, her hair in a blurry mess on top of her head.

"Happy Christmas," she yawned, sliding back under her duvet.

"Happy Christmas," I replied, smiling. "Putting out your presents?"

She nodded. "I bought some yesterday and now was the only time I could put them out."

I glanced at my watch. 4:32am.

"Although there were a few others rummaging through the presents to find theirs," Louise said. "It was weird because I think I saw two people arguing over an unnamed one. It was shaped like a book, so I don't blame them."

I giggled, before immediately stopping after I realised Sasha was stirring. Guiltily, I watched as she woke up, groaning.

"Happy Christmas," she said, "but not to the person that woke me up."

Louise gestured at me and Sasha threw a pillow. It missed, hitting Aleeza instead. We held our breaths.

"Oops," Sasha whispered.

To our surprise, Aleeza simply rolled over.

"We'll wake her up in half an hour," Louise said.

*

I shrugged on my favourite grey jumper and twisted my hair into a loose bun. Sliding on my fuzzy slippers, I was suddenly grateful for the fireplace in the common room. It lit up the entire space as I walked in.

Sasha, Aleeza and Louise were already curled up in front of it. Louise had a book in her hands while Sasha and Aleeza were warming themselves. I joined them, cosying up on the loveseat opposite the others.

There were lots of other students congregating in the common room. The epicentre was, of course, the impressive pile of presents underneath the Christmas tree. I noticed some students from other houses. I don't blame them; the Ravenclaw common room has both lots of space and a fantastic view of the Hogwarts grounds. And when it is covered in fresh snow, it truly is a spectacular sight.

"Somebody told me that everyone's planning to open presents in a group session at 6," Aleeza said. "It should be fun. I like seeing what other people have gotten."

"Yeah, sounds good," I answered.

None of us said anything, happy to bask in the glow of Christmas morning and watch the people around us. There was an atmosphere of anticipation that only grew as the clock neared 6.

It was 5:55 when I noticed Oliver come into the dorm room. He tentatively looked around before meeting my gaze. Smiling, he walked over and sat next to me.

"Happy Christmas, everyone," he greeted chirpily.

"HappChristmas," I said. "Here for the gift ceremony?"

"Naturally," Oliver replied, looking deliberately at the bubbling crowd around the tree. "I've even put my own presents here."

A wave of excitement rushed through me. Did he have a present for me? I was suddenly thankful that I had bought one for him: a miniature sculpture of a snitch. It was the last in stock so I counted myself lucky to have bought it.

*

When the clock struck six, Sasha naturally decided to take charge. Everyone listened. She has a way of leading that lets you know you have to do as she says. Her method of present distribution was to choose a random one and give it to whoever it was named to.

"To Olivia Mayfield," Sasha read, holding a large, square box in the air. It was wrapped in red paper and glittered in the light.

A small girl excitedly rushed to Sasha and took her present, before heading back to her friends and tearing it open.

The first of my friends to be called up was Louise. The box Sasha held was small and rectangular. Suddenly, I realised it was my present, the book. Louise took her present and returned.

"It's a book, obviously," she mused. Gently, she peeled off the paper. It revealed the name of the author in slanted silver writing. "Cecille Tarenda? Y/N, this was you!" I nodded and she flung her arms around me. "Thank you so much! Oh, I've wanted some new material for ages!"

*

Eventually, people started to drift out of the common room, having received all of their gifts. In my arms, I had a pair of red earrings from Aleeza and a set of quills from Louise.

"To the wonderful Y/N, from Oliver," Sasha read, a twinkle in her eye.

Oliver leaned over to me before I could stand. He lowered his voice to a whisper. "I think you're really going to like it, almost as much as I like you."