Chapter 18

The songs for this chapter are Hotel California by The Eagles, Kids In The Dark by All Time Low and I Don't Love You by My Chemical Romance.

Sorry for the long wait - I only returned from Yale yesterday and I'm quite tired and I think I have a cold. But while I was away we reached 769 reads, which is incredible!

I have to go to India for a school trip on Sunday for a week and there's no service so sadly no updates until I return.

Thanks to everyone for being so patient - I love and appreciate you all!

Please vote and comment <3

Edit: guys looking back I have no idea what I was thinking making the outfit I mean come on 😭😭😭 but I'm leaving in it for comedic value

*

After I finished telling the story to Sasha, she collapsed on her back. Her face wore a huge smile and her cheeks were flushed.

"I told you!" she whispered. "I told you! Oh my God, I'm so happy for you - it's finally happened. Maybe I can actually send out wedding invites this time."

"You can't spread this," I said quickly, suddenly remembering the last ordeal after I went to Madam Puddifoot's with Oliver.

"In that case, don't you dare say a word to Gillian," Sasha replied, "because her mouth is bigger than her ego. Besides, I'm convinced she's in love with Oliver."

"She'll have to go through me." I felt very defensive. Although I trusted Oliver, any girl I saw was now a potential threat. Especially Gillian. Despite the fact that Oliver had voiced his negative feelings towards Gillian, there was still a constant nagging at the back of my mind that something might go wrong.

"Who'll have to go through you?"

I jumped and snapped my eyes upwards. I caught myself from panicking when I realised it was Louise and Aleeza. If it had been Gillian, I don't know what I would've done.

Sasha kept quiet, glancing at me sideways. Hesitating, I nodded, giving her permission to retell the story.

*

"Basically, they're in love, right?" Louise asked. She ducked the pillow I threw at her. "And don't you worry about Gillian. She's as exciting as Aleeza talking about history, honestly."

"Don't compliment Gillian like that," Aleeza countered. "My history chatter is exceedingly interesting, isn't it?" She placed her elbow on Louise's shoulder. "You know you love me."

"Of course," she replied, rubbing Aleeza's hair to make it messy. "But back to Y/N and Oliver's date, which I must say is far more important at the moment."

*

Endless days dragged by and I found myself counting down the dates until the next trip to Hogsmeade. I had spent a considerable amount of time fantasizing about my time with Oliver, enough that I blushed every time I looked in his general direction.

Eventually, the day came. I woke up unusually early and, naturally, rushed directly to the bathroom with a bundle of clothes in my arms. When I emerged ten minutes later, I felt confident.

(listen I know this is tragic but I've kept it here to keep myself humble)

(I'm not even gonna lie this gets worse every time I look at it I'm so ashamed of myself :D)

I was expecting Sasha, Aleeza and Louise to be bubbling with excitement, but the only girl awake was Gillian. She cocked her head as her eyes travelled over my clothes. It was blatantly obvious I was dressed up, and she was smart. I knew straight away Gillian put two and two together based on the conversation she interrupted after the quidditch match.

"Date today?" she asked, her face blank.

There was no point in lying to her - she'd only become angry when she inevitably found out. "Yes!" I answered, running a hand through my freshly brushed hair.

My loud response prompted Louise to ease herself into a sitting position.

"Morning," she yawned. She paused to look at me. "Y/N, you look wonderful! I-" Then she noticed Gillian awake too.

"Gillian was just asking me about my date," I said, letting Louise know that Gillian worked it out. "Isn't that right, Gill?"

"Please don't call me that," she insisted, "but yes, that's right. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get dressed. I'm going to Hogsmeade too."

She stood up and marched to the bathroom, noisily closing the door behind her.

*

Sasha accompanied me to the Three Broomsticks a good half hour before Oliver was meant to arrive. We slid into a table in the corner and she ordered a butterbeer. Gillian occupied a booth on the opposite side of the room with two girls I recognised from potions. She appeared to be talking fervently.

The longer I looked at her, the more I could tell she was dressed up. Her normally dry hair looked shiny and clean, her gold eyeshadow glittered in the light and she was wearing a burgundy skater dress that hugged her figure.

"She's out to get you," Sasha mused. "Don't you dare let her between you and Oliver. Besides, it's obvious she's trying too hard."

"Yes, but I'm trying very hard as well," I pointed out, gesturing at the clothes I had chosen deliberately.

"But it doesn't look that way," she said. "Trust me when I say that Oliver won't be able to keep his eyes off you. And hopefully, he won't be able to keep his hands off you either."

I swatted her wrist. "Cheeky."

Suddenly, her eyes widened and she stood up. He's here, she mouthed, before scurrying to find another table.

I whipped around to face the entrance and, sure enough, Oliver stood in the doorway.

"Here we go," I whispered.