Chapter 77

After J'onn gives the signal for them all to go, they break off into their smaller teams. Maggie and Alex are, of course, together with Vasquez and a couple other agents.

They have a specific entrance they're supposed to go into, and it's Vasquez that finds the door to where they need to go. They sneak out from the tree line, staying low to the ground and close together. They move smoothly and silently across the grass, heading straight for the hidden door.

Most of the doors agents are heading into, they don't know what it's used for or if it will be patrolled by Cadmus guards. Luckily, that's not the case with them.

This particular hallway goes right to the kitchens, so they can safely assume that it won't be patrolled. Alex knows that at the Danvers castle, they have patrols that go near the kitchen but never in the kitchen. Lyra makes amazing food, and the smell alone is often tantalizing. Being exposed to that for an indefinite amount of time, and anyone would snap and try to eat everything in sight. According to legend, that's what happened with one knight and he ate himself near to death.

Plus, only bakers and people fetching fresh berries or something from the woods would use the hallway this door leads to. There would be no need to guard it unless they want to intimidate the bakers.

Vasquez tries the door and it sticks at first, but they pull again and the door opens. They pull it open quickly so it has less time to squeak or creak. They hold the door open for the others and close it behind them. The hallway is dark, but it was dark enough outside that their eyes adjusted so they can barely make out everything. With Alex and Maggie leading, they move forward. The hallway is just wide enough for them to walk side by side.

It turns once or twice, and they can all tell when they near the exit. It goes straight to the kitchen, which is lit rather well despite it being around three in the morning. Everyone in the kitchen stops what they're doing to stare at the agents and knights in their workspace.

Vasquez presses a finger to their lips in a shushing motion. They show their DEO badge and tell the scared people they aren't here for them. The group moves onwards quickly, to the relief of the kitchen staff.

Maggie and Alex continue to lead with their swords drawn, but they don't come across any guards. They don't expect to until they get nearer to the stairs leading downstairs, where the Cadmus lab is. Assuming Maxwell's intel was correct, the stairs should just be a couple corridors away.

The first guard they come across has a bored expression on his face until he sees them. His eyes widen and he opens his mouth to yell something, all the while fumbling for his own sword. Maggie slams the hilt of her sword against his forehead. Not hard enough to cause brain damage, but hard enough to knock him out (she knows from experience that he won't be getting up for a while).

Alex and Maggie continue onwards in the front, moving effortlessly in sync. They all memorized the layout of the castle so they wouldn't get lost, and according to Alex's mental map, they're getting close to their stairs.

"Get ready, the stairs are near. Expect multiple Cadmus agents." Alex signs to the others and they all nod seriously.

With their weapons drawn, everyone creeps forward, even more alert than usual. They move efficiently, covering each other as they pass hallways to make certain there aren't any unwelcome surprises. They almost make it to the stairs uninterrupted. Almost being the operative word.

Alex sees them first, two Cadmus guards with wicked looking curved blades, slumped against the wall, barely awake. But Alex knows from experience that once adrenalin kicks in, it doesn't matter how awake or not you were five seconds ago.