Chapter 96

Alex waits nervously for her parents' response, continuing to fiddle with Maggie's fingers. She looks in the direction of her parents but doesn't look at their faces. She doesn't think she would be able to handle it if she saw their disappointment.

Alex misses their looks of complete and utter shock but Maggie doesn't. She waits, bracing herself once again in case of harsh words. She has a bad track record with parents, she knew it would fall apart eventually. She knew it...

Alex glances back at her parents briefly, intending to look back in between them to give the illusion she's looking at them when she's not (an interrogating trick J'onn taught her), but what she sees makes her pause. Her mother is... Crying? Jeremiah has his hand on Eliza's shoulder, a movement she had seen, but she thought it was comfort in a different way, like "it'll be okay, I'm disappointed in her too." That kind of reassurance. But apparently, it's not.

Alex panics and stops playing with Maggie's fingers, trying to think of why her mother would be crying. Eliza doesn't cry often, not because she considers it weakness or some crap like that (she had taught her daughters it is strength), but because her subjects might see it as weakness if she were to cry in front of them. Plus, she's like Alex in that she doesn't like to cry in general. So for her to be crying, something has to be really wrong. Or really right, the optimistic part of Alex whispers but she dismisses that.

"Mom?" She asks nervously. "What's wrong?"

Eliza gives her daughter a wobbly smile and brushes the tears from her eyes. She takes a sharp breath, looking away from the girls in an attempt to gather herself. She purses her lips and then looks back at them but that wobbly smile returns. Eliza gives in, deciding to not fight it and chokes out an answer.

"Nothing's wrong, my dear Alexandra. I just..." She wipes away another tear. "I never expected that my first daughter to be engaged would be you."

Jeremiah turns his head towards them and they can see his beaming smile and the tears in his eyes. "They're happy tears."

Eliza nods in agreement. "Come here, both of you."

She holds out her arms and after a moment where neither Alex or Maggie move, both shocked, they both walk forward. Jeremiah and Eliza wrap them  in a hug.

"I'm so happy for you two," Eliza says.

"Thank you." Alex murmurs.

Eliza pulls back and smiles at them. "So when is it? Have you decided?"

"We haven't discussed that yet," Alex admits. "We'll talk about it later." Eliza nods to show she understands.

Jeremiah speaks. "So who asked?"

"I did," Maggie says.

Jeremiah chuckles. "I thought so. I didn't think my daughter would be the one to ask. I'm assuming the gardens being closed was due to you?" Maggie blushes and he grins, having his answer. "Alex would probably blurt it out in the midst of a dangerous mission or spend a month planning it out to the last detail, and with all that's been going on I know she wouldn't have had time yet."

"Dad," Alex complains, her cheeks pink.

"Alex," he says in the same tone, winking at his daughter.

Eliza rolls her eyes fondly at her husband and then turns her attention back to her daughter and her fiancée. "I want you to tell me all about it."

Alex smiles softly, squeezing Maggie's hand. "Then we may want to sit down. Maggie did a lot."

Maggie flushes. "Winn helped a lot."

"Winn? Is that why he's been running around for the past couple of days?" Jeremiah chuckles. "I thought he was just skittish because of his new girlfriend."

"That probably added to it." Alex says as they head to one of the tables in the throne room where they can all sit down.

Alex explains the proposal to Eliza and Jeremiah, making certain to include as much detail as she can remember. Maggie did a lot for her, worked hard on the set up, and Alex wants her parents to know just how much her girlf-her fiancée loves her. Gods, she loves referring to Maggie as her fiancée. It makes butterflies flutter in her stomach and a dopey smile appear on her face.

Jeremiah and Eliza exchange a happy look when they see that smile on their daughter and their future daughter-in-law's faces.

Maggie lets Alex explain it, listening to her version of events. Hearing how much Alex noticed, let alone remembered, is enough to make Maggie fall for her all over again.

"... Now Kara has to come back often from the Luthor Kingdom." Alex jokes as she finishes her explanation.

Jeremiah chuckles. "She definitely won't want to miss planning her big sister's wedding."

"Definitely not. I have a feeling she'll fly back here to show me a color she's thinking of for the table cloths or something." Alex jokes.

Maggie smiles softly and there's a moment of silence before she breaks it, the questions weighing on her mind bursting out.

"So you're okay with this?" Jeremiah and Eliza look surprised and kinda confused so she elaborates. "I mean, I didn't ask you guys beforehand. Sorry about that, by the way."

"It's not a problem," Jeremiah promises. "Granted, you telling us about your engagement would be less of a surprise, but you have our support in this no matter what."

Maggie's lower lip twitches and she wonders if this is what it feels like to have unconditionally supportive parents. Alex sees the twitch and pulls her slightly closer to her, squeezing her hand.

Maggie swallows and clears her throat, but that doesn't stop her voice from cracking. "Thank you."

"Of course. You're officially part of the Danvers family now, Maggie. And I couldn't be happier that it's you my daughter is going to marry." Jeremiah says.

Maggie sniffles and smiles widely at her family (her family), wiping a tear from her face.

I almost cried in class while writing that last part, oh my god. Maggie deserves so much!!! Next chapter will be... Something? I don't know yet. Maybe more fluff (haha who am I kidding, definitely more fluff), maybe Lena and Kara leaving... It'll be a surprise to all of us! Thank you all for reading and for your amazing comments! Stay awesome!