Chapter 156

"That could work. We can get started on that after this," J'onn says.

"Pardon me sir," one of Lena's archers speaks up. "But what about the aliens? The ones hired to attack?"

"What about them?" J'onn asks.

"Well, do you know what species they are?" J'onn nods hesitantly in response. "Can't you just round up a couple of them today and question them? We could stop all of this."

"That's out of the question," J'onn says immediately. "Not only would that incite fear into the alien population of National City, but we would be bringing in innocents to question them about their friends and families. A mass thing like that would make the people distrust the aliens, and only hammer in Cadmus' point tomorrow. I do understand where you're coming from, but no."

"J'onn, what if you send out a couple of people?" Alex asks. "A team or two to talk to some contacts, some people that are the same species."

"Just because they are the same species doesn't mean they all know each other," Winn points out.

"I'm aware Winn. Just like I know that if they do know each other, it's doubtful that they'll suspect their friends or families of doing something like that. But it might be able to help." Alex turns to J'onn. "What do you think sir?"

J'onn lets out a breath. "After we finish planning, if that still sounds like a good idea, you and your wife can work on that." Alex nods.

"Should we inform the guards and soldiers of the city which species to pay attention to?" Another of Lena's archers asks.

This time it's Lena who responds. She shakes her head. "I don't think we should. If we do, they'll just pay attention to those aliens and they could miss other signs of trouble. Focusing too much on one thing causes you to be blind to everything else."

"I agree," Kara says. "We can have the guards focus on the faces of Cadmus, and the crowd as a whole."

J'onn nods, a sparkle of pride in his eyes. "Very well. Now we should focus on where everyone will be. We know we want to focus on where we think the attacks will be. Alex and Maggie, where will be the best positions for people on the ground?"

Alex and Maggie look closer, pointing and quietly murmuring to each other. Maggie looks up to J'onn and points to two small alleys that lead off of the square.

"We'll need a couple guards posted here and at least one in each alley so that people don't loiter there. We can use them to help once people start fleeing from the square when Cadmus attacks. If the square is as crowded as you guys say, it won't be unusual to have a lot of guards there to control the crowd if necessary. I think we should send some people in plain clothes as well who can hide their armor and weapons under their clothes. Just a couple, because people will be bumping into them and will end up feeling the swords or whatever they're carrying."

"They could put their weapons in shopping bags," Lena suggests.

"That's actually a really good idea. Alright. Um. Alex and I can be in the square and shop. It wouldn't be odd to see a newly wed couple shopping. Have you gone before?" Maggie asks Alex.

Alex nods. "With Kara."

"Then it won't be out of the ordinary. The roads will be tricker, it's a more confined space. We can increase the number of guards as much as we can without raising suspicion and have some more people in plainclothes, using Lena's idea. We'll probably need more people on rooftops for these, and people on standby for when everything goes down. Will that work Lena?"

"Yes, I believe so. We'll be utilizing everyone that I have with me, and the DEO archers as well I'm assuming. Only those that are good in stressful situations and are very good shots will be shooting into the crowd. The rest will be on standby acting as spotters so that the archers know who to aim for. J'onn, are we aiming to be non-lethal?"

J'onn nods. "If we can be, yes. But you do have my permission to use lethal force on the operatives if necessary. Preferably not on the aliens, as they are most likely just doing this for money."

"Knowing Cadmus, they might not have a choice," Lena says. She can feel everyone turn to look at her, most looking confused. "Cadmus doesn't exactly care about the lives of aliens. Their families could be kidnapped or threatened. That may be something to look for, Alex and Maggie, if you go on a recon mission. I know a lot of aliens don't exactly trust the government or the DEO, but irrational or extreme fear of you being there could be an indication that you're on the right track."

Alex looks to J'onn, who frowns but nods. "You may go. But please do be careful, and avoid creating panic."

If it were almost anyone else, Alex would think that they didn't trust in her and Maggie's abilities. But she knows J'onn, and knows that he's just worried about their safety as well as the safety of the Kingdom.

"Of course," Alex agrees.

"How will we get up to areas where we can shoot?" A DEO archer asks after a moment of quiet. "The best place would  be on the rooftops, but I don't know if there's anywhere with access."

"What you can all do with Lena while I'm helping J'onn with the pictures is pick where you want to go, every archer who will be shooting into the crowd with at least one spotter. Tomorrow morning, before people start arriving at the festival, I can meet people near where they want to be on the roof and fly them up. Assuming everyone's okay with that, of course."

There are a few people who seem hesitant, but they all agree pretty readily.

"We have our plan. Go on and make the necessary preparations." J'onn says and everyone begins rushing around to do what needs to be done.

Next chapter, we'll see the night before the chaos and how our favorites couples are doing! Then, onto Cadmus making a mess! Guys, today I met this older lady my mom knows (and my mom talks about my brother and I a lot to her exercise classes she teaches), and the lady looked at me and asked "oh, is this your son?" Like no, I'm just gay and have short hair but it made my day! Also, I finally got new pots! And new plants, because there was this tiny succulent that was so cute, I had to buy it haha. Anywho! Thank you all for reading and for your lovely comments! Stay awesome!