Chapter 9

It was my first day of work, I was so nervous that I was biting my lip harder each minute. For a moment I felt, I don't know, stuck. My heart felt like it was going to leap through my chest at any moment. I haven't been around this many people since, well, elementary school and college. And my elementary experience didn't really last long, my 'parents' pulled me out, as soon as my teachers and principal kept complaining about my bruises. The school tried hard to get the police and CPS involved, but my family had incredible lawyers. From then on, they kept me home schooled. Preventing people from finding out the horrible conditions I had to live in. My mental babbling was interrupted by someone touching my shoulder, out of reflex I flinched.

"I'm​ sorry, I guess I should've spoken first. I'm Henry, the Co-CEO of the company. Let me show you to your cubicle." His smile was kind, just like his eyes. Immediately I glanced away, I didn't want him to get the wrong idea about me, especially not on the first day of work. After showing me to the break room, and the locations of the different branches of the company in the building. He explained to me what my responsibilities were, gave me my schedule, and informed me of which meetings I had to attended.

For a moment, I took a deep breath, and allowed all my problems to slip away from me. Once my mind cleared I got to work. It wasn't​ much I had to do, fix some mistakes, proof read over emails before they got sent, small stuff like that. It didn't overwhelm me much, well, not until my 3rd week. My supervisor tried his best to keep my work load light, but I guess I came at the wrong time. More and more papers and emails came in, I was barely keeping up with it all. Luckily, Henry helped me when he got the chance. He'd spent some of his breaks in my cubical, giving me notes on what to work on, what not to do. I got off work at a very decent time, I barely felt tired after working from 6am-5pm. All the energy I saved, sleeping all day and night is useful at this point in my life. Sometimes I visited Sayyora and Quintin. Sayy would tell me about her day, and Quintin would teach me how to cook. Sometimes Sayy would just sit and watch us, the little smirk she had on her face was of satisfaction.

I guess we fell into some trap she had in mind, our little trio soon turned into a duo. Every time we'd ask her to come somewhere with us, she declined and either had a project or doing something with her friends. The more time me and Quintin shared, the more I opened up to him. Just about the little stuff though, I didn't think it was necessary to share my whole life story with him, besides, anybody could be working for Kyle. Maybe I was being too cautious around him, he seemed like a genuinely great guy with no alternative motives.

After a very long stressful day of work, I had finally finished my probationary period. It's been almost 6 months since I've been free from Kyle, he hadn't contacted me, or anything similar to that. Finally, I felt free from my shackles, I was my own person for the first time ever, and I was proud. Quintin and Kelsi decided that we needed to celebrate, I'm happy that Sayyora decided to join us as well, I really missed her being around me and Quintin.

"So where are we going kiddos?" Sayy asked us as she looked through her clothes.

"Hmm, maybe the Cheesecake Factory. Never been there but I heard they had great food and amazing cheesecake."

"Are you going to dress up for Quintin?" She said with a teasing tone making me roll my eyes.

"Can't I just dress up for me?"

"Of course, but I want him to be speechless when you walk out your room. I'll help of course."

"Why do you want us to hook up so badly Sayyora?"

"I finally want him to be happy, and out of all the females who tried to get into his life, I like you the most."

I blushed deeply, never thought I'd be in this situation. Honestly, me being around him did make me feel alive, standing next to him made me feel breathless, and the few times I accidentally feel asleep against him made me have inner peace. He was like my personal sanctuary. "Nova, come back to Earth and get dressed. He'll be home soon and I want him to piss him pants when he sees you." I giggled softly at her comment before she pushed me towards the guest room and pulled out a few dresses I brought over. Kelsi agreed to meet us there and Quintin was busy with a last minute meeting, leaving me and Sayyora to get ready.