ᎄʜᎀ᎘᎛ᎇʀ ᎇɪɢʜ᎛: ᎍɪᎅɎɪɢʜ᎛ Ꭱʜɪs᎘ᎇʀɪɎɢs

✧ ✧ ✧

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ: ᴍɪᴅɴɪɢʜᴛ ᴡʜɪsᴘᴇʀɪɴɢs

ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴᴇᴅ ʟᴀsᴛ ɴɪɢʜᴛ? ❞

❝ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴᴇᴅ ʟᴀsᴛ ɴɪɢʜᴛ? ❞

✧ ✧ ✧

   ONE WOULD THINK THAT FINALLY decoding a super secret code that could possibly help save the entire world would bring enough peace to someone's mind to allow them to fall asleep without any problem, but unfortunately, that wasn't the case for you.

Maybe it was because it was the first time in months that you were back in your own bed, or maybe it was the fact that simply being in this house knowing that your parents would never come home made you sick to your stomach, but no matter how hard you tried, there was just no way you could bring yourself to fall asleep.

But eventually, after hours of tossing and turning, you were finally able to force yourself to go to sleep; except this proved to be even worse than staying awake.

The nightmare happened in fragments. Very short, very graphic fragments. You tried your hardest to wake yourself up. To try and tell yourself that it was just a dream and you could control it. To try and bring yourself back to reality so that you didn't have to watch your parents get murdered.

But it was no use.

You watched them die. Over and over.

It was the worst kind of torture imaginable; watching the people you loved most in the world being brutally murdered and not being able to do anything about it. It was especially worse knowing that it was something your mind made up. Something you did to yourself.

Apparently, you'd been much more vocal in trying to wake yourself up than you were aware of (or unaware of, since you were asleep), because not too long after you'd watched your parents die for the sixth time, you were woken up by the feeling of strong arms enveloping you, pulling you into an equally strong chest while their owner whispered soothingly in your ear.

"Shh, shh. It's okay. You're okay," Brendon whispered, trying to reassure you. You were still in a slight trance from the nightmare, and you still thrashed about, which caused Brendon to hold you closer. "It's okay, it was just a bad dream. I'm here; I won't let anything happen to you."

This managed to calm you down significantly, and now, instead of trashing about wildly, you just curled yourself up, whimpering quietly, the images from your nightmare still fresh in your mind.

Brendon continued to hold you, and began stroking your face, wiping away your tears and shushing you. When after a while, your crying still hadn't ceased, and you were clearly on the verge of having a panic attack, he realised that he'd have to find a way to distract you from your mind. And then, Brendon found himself doing something he previously swore to himself he'd never do again...