ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ: ᴀ ᴍᴏᴍᴇɴᴛ ʏᴏᴜ'ʟʟ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ...

✧ ✧ ✧

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ: ᴍᴏᴍᴇɴᴛ ʏᴏᴜ'ʟʟ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ sɪɴɢ, ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴅᴀɴᴄᴇ... ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏ, ʏᴀ ʙᴜᴢᴢ-ᴋɪʟʟ? ❞

 ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏ, ʏᴀ ʙᴜᴢᴢ-ᴋɪʟʟ? ❞

✧ ✧ ✧

Sixteen years earlier. (Y/L/N) family home, Davenport, Iowa.

Your mother stood in the kitchen, leaning against the counter and smiling fondly as she watched you through the window. You were playing outside in the abundance of snow that had gathered next to the nearby lake, giggling excitedly as you built up tiny mountains of snow before throwing yourself into it and repeating the cycle over and over again.

She grabbed a washcloth and wiped the counter down before turning around to do the same on the island. She readjusted the fruit bowl and salt and pepper shakers that were out of place from that morning's breakfast, and tucked the stools underneath the island, returning to her spot at the window when she had finished. Peering through the glass, her heart sunk a little bit when she realised that you weren't in the spot you had been before.

Her eyes scanned the outside area frantically as she searched for any glimpse of your bright purple coat. When she couldn't find you, she panicked – immediately running out into the freezing cold, not even bothering to grab a jacket or proper shoes. She had her bedroom slippers on – not an ideal shoe to be wearing while running through snow – but she didn't care; she was in mama-bear mode.

"(Y/N)!" she called out desperately as she sprinted through the snow, head turning every which way in an attempt to find you, "(Y/N)!"

Your lack of response only fuelled her worry, and she gripped at her hair frustratedly as she continued searching. Her eyes landed on a small hole in the frozen top layer of the lake, and she gasped in horror as she dashed over.

She fell to her knees at the edge of the water and peered in; a strangled cry escaped her throat once she spotted the purple of your jacket just beneath the surface of the water. Without hesitation, she delved her arms in and grabbed a hold of you, using all of her might to yank you up and into her arms.

At this point, your father had become aware of what was going on, and he ran across to the two of you, dropping down next to your mother. "(Y/N), snowflake!"

Your mom held you close to her, brushing the hair out of your face as she continued breathing raggedly. A slight frown formed on her face as she touched your skin and took in your appearance. The water had been glacially cold – she felt it – but somehow, despite having been under for God knows how long, your body temperature seemed to be normal, and you showed no signs of frostbite or hypothermia. No blue lips, no weak pulse... nothing. The only thing unusual was that you were unconscious.