Nightmare

Your eyes were shut as you heard their cynical laughter. Oh how their laughter haunted you and how those strict teachers degraded you. "You failed yet again (Y/n)!" The woman's crow like voice screeched.
"I-I'm sorry! I-It was one little mistake I promise to not do it again!" You stuttered and gasped.

"See!? You did it again! Twice! Even with your apology! Now go into the dark room and think about how to fix yourself!"
You whimpered as her scrawny hands grabbed your arm and tossed you into the dark room. Your form curled into a corner and into a ball, as you heard their laughing. "What a stupid girl." one child said.
"Yeah I mean who doesn't know how to talk?"
"What a baby!"
Whimpers echoed the room as you covered your small ears with your small hands.
The room began to spin and the next thing you knew, you were on stage in your little dress and bow on your head. "That's why we must help with the e-environment..!" You gasped as you stuttered and suddenly everyone grew taller than you. "You are the most idiotic child that has ever walked through this elementary!!"
"You just costed our school from first place to second!"
"What an idiot!"
"Stupid!"
No no that wasn't true! That wasn't true at all!

You gasped and shot up from your bed, your (s/c) skin soaked in sweat. Your heart pounded against your chest as your frantically looked around your (f/c) room. 'It was only a dream,' you thought as your body shook. Placing a gentle hand on your head, you sighed. Even in your sleep your past haunted you like the plague. Bringing your hand's down to your lap, you stared at them, watching as they slightly shook. What were you going to do? Nothing was calming you down! Not those breathing exercises, nothing! You racked your brain in trying to find a solution when all of a sudden a memory washed over you. It was about a while back. That rainy day on the tire swing...

Edd.

You leaned over and grabbed your phone and nervously tapped his number and the ringing began. Oh no what if this isn't a good idea? What if you wake him up from his sleep and he's grumpy? Will he be-
"There better be a reason why you called." you heard a low groggy voice say. You gasped and shook your head.
"I-I'm s-sorry... D-did i wake you up?" you asked worriedly.
".....You've been crying. What's wrong?" he asked, hearing shuffling from the other line. It amazed you that the bad boy of the school with the score of a genius, could have the best people skills.
"I-I um... I-Im sorry I didn't mean to wake you u-"
"Stop avoiding the question and tell me why you've been crying." Edd said.

There was no point in trying to avoid it. He knew...how, you weren't sure...But he did. You sighed and brought your knees to your person and placed your head on your lap. "I-It was a nightmare." you said softly.
"About?" he asked, his voice sounding a little bit more awake. You bit your lip as you pulled yourself into a tighter ball.
"W-when I was little, my parents put me in a private academy. I had a speech impediment, and the teachers, along with the students didn't like it. I-If I made a mistake, they would put me in time out...and if I made one too many, they would lock me in a dark room and told me to think about what I've done."
There was a moment of silence before Edd told you to continue.
"U-Um...there was this competition, a speech competition. And as I was going to finish my speech, I stuttered and that caused us to win second place. E-Everyone hated me for it..a-and I just..." Words couldn't describe how you felt; anxious maybe, scared, pressured....a failure...

"Well what you not are is stupid." Edd said. "And damn that school for insulting you."
A small smile graced your lips as you heard him scowl at your school. "T-thank you, Edd." you said softly, wiping the last of your tears with your hands. "I-I'm going to go to bed now."
"No you're not." Edd replied. Well this took you aback.
"What do you mean...?"
"You still sound shaken up. No way in hell are you going to fall asleep."

You thought for a moment, and he was right. The adrenaline of that nightmare was still coursing through your body. It would be about five in the morning before sleep finally hit you, and then the exhaustion would definitely affect you. "Talk to me." he said. You shook your head and blinked. "W-What?" you asked.
"Talk to me. It's not that hard." Edd said nonchalantly. A small smile graced your lips and so did a little giggle. "A-alright." you replied and that's what you two began to do.

Edd's POV:

(Y/n) and I have been talking for a while now, maybe about two hours, until finally there was silence. "(Y/n)?" I asked lowly, making sure my voice didn't wake anyone in the house up. Again...there was nothing. I listened closely, pressing my phone against my ear. There, from my phone, I heard the faintest of breathing. An even steady breathing. A small smirk formed. She finally fell asleep. "Goodnight, bunny." I said before ending the call. I looked down at my phone and let out a breathy chuckle before crawling back into bed and falling asleep.