The Truth

It was a beautiful day in Peach Creek and everyone decided to take advantage of it. From eating lunch outside, to simply relaxing on the school field instead of the walled up corridors of the school building, everyone had to agree that the day was something that was needed to be spent outdoors. You too had agreed that today was a beautiful day and decided to spend your break hour outside rather than the library. You smiled as you sat underneath a tree and pulled out your sketch book along with your headphones and decided to sketch instead of your usual studying or reading. As your favorite song played in your ears and your pencil danced over the paper, you hadn't realized someone took their place next to you.

"What's up Bunny?" you heard a deep voice in your ear. A yelp escaped your lips and your pencil flew out of your hand, along with your headphones falling off you. You heard snickering beside you and you looked over to see Edd chuckling, covering his mouth as he tried to be discrete and failing at it as well.

"E-Edd! What was that for?!" you yelped as you tried to calm your erratic heart along with making sure none of your things were lost.

"You looked so lost in your own world, I couldn't help it." he smirked as he leaned back against the tree. A small pout crossed your lips as you tamed your (h/c) hair and sighed. "You're mean you know that?" you asked as you leaned back into a comfortable position.

"You don't say?" Edd replied sarcastically as he skimmed through a book. A sigh escaped your lips as the both of you began to busy yourselves with whatever task at hand. The silence between the both of you built, however it was a comfortable silence.

"Hey Edd?" you asked, breaking the silence between the two of you.

"Hm?" Edd hummed in response, his eyes scanning the words of the book that was currently in his hand.

"How did you become you?" you asked.

"Well (Y/n), I knew you were innocent, but damn I didn't expect it would go this far." He smirked before looking over at you. "You see, when a man loves a woman very much, or when their estrogen levels are through the fucking roof, they-"

"N-Not what I meant!" you yelped, covering his mouth with both of your hands, causing him to snicker at your flustered self. "What I meant was, how did you become a rebel?" This question seemed to catch him off guard. Slowly, you pulled your hands away from his mouth, but his gaze never broke from yours. "Everyone keeps mentioning how you used to be a shy nerd, a bookworm, a dork and so on and so forth. But what had caused you to suddenly become the polar opposite of your prior personality?" you asked. There was a moment of silence and you swore that you were sweating bullets. Had you said something wrong? Was that a touchy subject? A sigh escaped Edd's lips as he adjusted his cap. "It's a....long story." he explained vaguely. You nodded, probably thinking he didn't want to go any further, but he did.

"It all started when I was in middle school. We were doing an incubation experiment in science class. I was in charge of watching how everyone did their experiment and writing down the progress of everyone's egg experiment. Suddenly the Kanker sisters barged in, causing a havoc as usual. Everyone hid in order to save their skins, while I tried to be a peace maker. Man, I was shaking so badly as I tried to show them this book, which weighed like an encyclopedia or dictionary in order to negotiate some peace, however, I was shaking so badly, the book fell on May's foot. Her foot swelled but luckily enough nothing was broken, but it sure damn looked like i kicked her ass."

You sat quietly with your knees pulled up to your chest as you listened to him tell the tale. He went into great detail about how he had tried to atone for his mishaps however him being clumsy, caused more pain than good. "People became afraid of me, to the point where the teachers had sent me home with a note about what I had done. No one believed me about how all of those incidents were accidents, even my own damn parents." Edd scoffed. You watched as you took in how his posture changed. It became distant yet at the same time, it was like one of his walls that he build crumbled down. There was a moment of silence before you gently placed a hand on his. This caught his attention and his ice blue eyes met with your warm (e/c) ones. Gently, he gripped your hand before he continued. "My parents decided that before I begin high school, I should get my act together and figure out where my prorities were, which lead into me being under house arrest for the summer. It pissed me off, but there wss nothing i could do. So I thought to myself 'Why fight it and not embrace it?' That freshman year I was determined to enhance myself, so i kept to myself and made sure that my grades were perfect."

"Instead of a lanky weakling, I decided to strengthen up, so I worked out and joined the swim team. Everything seemed to fall into place after that. When I was invited to join the varsity swim team, I got this bomber jacket which everyone claimed that I looked good in. That's when I decided to trade in the plaid shorts and baggy shirts to leather jackets and black jeans. I guess appearance really was a thing because the next thing I knew, I became the talk of the school. Girls came after me left and right, which Eddy took advantage of, and thus 'Bad Boy' was the title they gave me." Edd finished before looking over at you. You watched him intently as he told his story, taking in every word he had said.

"Do you ever regret it?" you asked softly. "Falling into the pressure and the rumors?"

He sighed before looking out into the distance. "Well, would you have fallen for me if I wasn't?" he responded.

You thought for a moment, looking at the same direction he was. Would you have accepted him if he were a shy little nerd? "It's alright if you say no, I would-"

"Yes." you cut him off. "Yes, I would've fallen for you." you said with a smile before looking at him. "I think Nerdy Edd would've been very adorable." you giggled. He looked at you in shock before chuckling.

"You know, I guess there is one thing I did gain out of being a bad boy." he said. He yanked you towards him, causing you to yelp as you fall into his lap. "I captured myself a cute little bunny." he smirked, toying with your hair. You blushed immensely as you looked down at your lap to calm down the blood rush to your face and cheek area. However, a smile then spread across your lips as you mustered up all the courage you had and leaned against his chest. Edd sat there in shock, his cheeks tinted slightly with pink as he looked down at you.

"And I, you." you said softly. "And Edd? If I were there when you were in middle school, I would've believed you." you smiled before closing your eyes.

This caught Edd off guard before a sudden feeling washed over him. It was like a weight was lifted off his chest and he could finally breathe. He looked down at you in awe, watching as you sat comfortably in his lap before looking back up at the clear blue sky. A smile graced his lips as he wrapped his arms around your form, pulling you closer as a tear ran down his cheek. Three simple words. Three of them and you made him feel like he was a new man. "You're really something bunny." he thought to himself as he closed eyes, enjoying the breath of fresh air that he could finally breath in.

I believe you.

Tell me what you want to hear

Something that will light those ears

Sick of all the insincere 

I'm gonna give all my secrets away.