It Was You

Confused and shocked, I turn around and hold my head up as I walk towards the connecting door to the next room.
I go through them to see the Prince sitting on a couch, alone.  He's wearing informal attire - that of a common man. Just a shirt and pants. Not what I'd expect. "Charlotte?" He asks, looking up. His face looks distant. Like he doesn't really want to be meeting with all of these girls.
"Charlie." I correct. His eyes focus. Maybe he remembers my voice?
I sit when he prompts me, and then his eyes go . "Your caste?"
"Five." I say, softly.
"And your hobbies?"
"Dancing." I reply. His eyes focus again.
"Dancing? What kind?"
"I first learned ballet, and now know most kinds of dance from teachers who were willing to teach without needing money. Ballet is my favorite."
He smiles. "What do you think of my home so far?"
"I am enjoying the food." I twiddle my hands in my lap. "Better than the food I eat back home, but..." In my head, I decide that it's just better if he knows so I don't have to go bumbling around like an idiot.
"What?" He asks, leaning forward.
"I think that there could be a few less benches in the garden." I say, and cross my legs. His eyes dart down to my scratched knees.
A small smile lights up his face. "So, it was you!"
"What was me?" I ask innocently.
"Now I can actually see you - I knew it was you! It had to be you. Your voice, the dancing, the skinned knees. You told me you weren't hurt."
"I didn't know until this morning." I bow my head. "I am sorry if I offended you last night, Your Highness."
"Peter." He says, crossing his arms. "And you are forgiven." A deep breath. "You are not here to win your affections?"
"Sadly, not." I say. "I wish to use the money to help some of the lower castes in Carolina, now that I am here."
"Well, that is admirable." His voice sounds proud. "I must certainly keep you longer then, Charlie."
"Thank you." I stand.
"Don't go just yet." He says, and comes closer. "I'll let you stay if you hold a private concert that I can see."
"Are you blackmailing me? The Prince, using blackmail?"
His face flushes red. "No. I mean, hardly not."
"I'd be delighted." I say, and curtsey, heading towards the door.
"Since you aren't interested in me, you don't mind if I spend more time on the others?"
"Of course not." I smile."Christy hasn't come through, yet?"
"No. I haven't met anyone named Christy."
"Well, she's major in love with you. Just thought that I'd put in a good word for her." Peter nods, and I exit the room.
Fifteen girls have gone so far. There are only eight girls here. "Oh, thank god you made it through." Trina hugs me.
"I'm glad you care." I say, looking up at Trina. "I told him about why I'm here. He understands."
"Well, good." She smiles.
After all of the girls come out, I realize that about ten girls are gone. Only twenty-five of us are left. Christy is gushing over in the corner about how he kissed her hand, hugged her, and about how they really connected.
As if they could do that in a five-minute session.
Peter finally exits with the last girl and addresses the group of us. "At this time in the Selection, I will begin taking girls on dates. Don't feel left out if ypu don't get one for a while. There are twenty-five of you, and I still have to learn how to be a King as well while you all learn how to be Princesses too. A date card will arrive in your room with the time and place at least six hours before the date."
"Thank you." We all curtsey to Peter as he walks out of the room.
Then, we are introduced to our ettiquette teacher, Elizabeth.
Me and Trina lock eyes.
Well, this'll be fun.
Note the sarcasm.
--------------
Hey guys, school has officially started for me so I might not be updated as often as I would like.
But given the stress of junior year, I might need it to calm down.
I'll also be working on Creative Writing projects, and I'm taking a huge vacation in September - so, those will be dampers on updates, and well as the homework of two AP classes and everything else.
But, thanks for reading. Please, comment, vote, read, share. And check out my other stories!
-Kate