Media

"In a surprising turn of events, King Sam has refused to let the leader of Alpha, Nehmo, into the royal castle for negotiations." He reads this aloud and then starts yelling at his advisors in Spanish. They start talking back to him in Spanish, and my job is supposed to be pouring cups of water for everyone. "There will be no negotiations." He says. "I need a moment. All of you leave. Charlie, stay."

The advisors leave their hot-headed king in a room with me. "Illéa goes to war against Alpha today. Our troops get there in a week. And the media is concerned with me keeping Nehmo out of the castle, and the fact that the two of us are in a relationship." He wants to rant, so I let him do that, keeping silent and pouring water. "Why would they assume that?"

"Because you're their bachelor of a king. They just want the best for you. I'm the best, apparently." He mumbles something in his language under his breath.

"If I could, I would send you back to Illéa immediately."

"I'm good here. My stress levels are entirely too high when I'm around Peter." I set another cup down on the table. Just thinking about him gets my heart all aflutter, and I'm sure that Sam can hear it. 

"What is your purpose here, then?" He screams. "You know nothing of politics or of love, you idiot!" He keeps screaming and starts knocking over all of the water cups, and I throw the pitcher of water at him and flee the room.

"He's having a mental breakdown." I tell the advisors in the hallway. "Get him some medication or something." The advisors call some medics, and I sit in the hallway, trying not to cry. Kane is called up, and is sworn in as a temporary regent. He appears disillusioned throughout the event. The advisors are called to dinner, and Kane sits with me on the floor.

"What happened to my brother?" He asks.

"The media causes him strife." I say.

"So, let's backlash against the media, then." Kane says. "Sam can do the military and political stuff. I can control the media." 

"How?" I ask, wiping away a tear.

"By letting them see only what we want them to see." He has a mischievous smile on his face, and I don't know if I trust this guy - the same guy who made my best friend break his leg.