Five-Distance

Sugi's pov

I guess my mom loved me, once. I guess she loved him too, they had two kids together. But I guess love just changes people.

I don't have a lot of good memories of either of my parents. From the minute I could understand what they were saying, I understood it was fighting. They fought about everything from bills to his drinking, to me.

When Amethyst was born, the fighting stopped for a little bit. I guess they were too busy trying to support two kids to remember how much they hated each other. It was nice for that for that first year, the only screaming and crying came from Amethyst. But only from that first year.

Amethyst was only about a year and a half the night she left. I had woken up to go to the bathroom when I heard yelling coming from their room. I stood in the hallway and listened. She came running out and told me she loved me, then left.

When I woke up, I thought it was all just a bad dream. I ran into their room and found him sitting on the floor surrounded by broken picture frames. And suddenly my mother was nothing more than a monthly child support check.

I don't think things would change if she came back. He would still drink. I would still raise my sister. Nothing changes.

That's why I hated having to leave Amethyst there. I knew that the second he saw her he would start screaming. And I knew that as much as I took care of her, I took care of him too.

I shook my head. I couldn't get all caught up with Amethyst right before my first class. If there was one thing my mom did, it was pay. She paid for Crystal Prep, and she was paying for me to go to law school too. It was pricey, but I wanted to be able to call people out on their bullshit.

My phone buzzed, so I looked down to see a text from Opal.

  Go get them, baby <3 

I smiled. Opal always knew how to make me feel great. Even though we were an hour away, I felt close to her always. It was a huge difference to not have classes with her, but I would only have to wait until one of us graduated to move closer together. It was gonna be great. Me and Opal, and probably Amethyst and Pearl. I couldn't wait.