Sixty-One-Plans

Lapis's Pov

Nobody knew what I was going to do. I'm sure Mangano could probably have guessed if she was asked, but I hadn't told anyone that I was going to talk to Red.

It wasn't exactly something I tried to hide, it was just that I didn't want my mom, Hess, or the entire student body to know what was going on. Red and I had agreed to hang out at his house on Friday night.

"Hey." He said, opening the back door.

"Hey." We stood in silence for a moment before he stepped back to let me in. I followed him downstairs to his bedroom and sat on the bed. The tv was on and some movie I'd seen before was playing quietly. Red sat down beside me and we sat watching it for a moment.

"Did you go back to her? After that night on the beach?" I asked, still watching the screen.

"No. I told you, I'm done with her." We were quiet again.

"Why?" He chuckled a bit.

"We weren't broken up for very long, Lapis. It's not like I'd even consider trying to get over you." He put his arm around my shoulders. "I love you."

"I love you too, it's just... I hate being with them." I sighed.

"Then we don't have to be with them." He said.

"I know. That's what I want to do. I want to leave."

"I'm leaving." He said. I looked up at him. "This summer. I'm gonna get that station wagon I told you about and go out on my own this summer. Find myself." I sat up, surprised that we'd had the same plan.

"I was actually thinking about that too... you and me... just going out alone and finding ourselves together."

"Lapis, what are you talking about?" I leaned forward and kissed him, then drew back.

"I love you, Red. And I know that right now, I can't love you here. Around them. I've been thinking about this for a few weeks, I've just been looking for the right chance to bring it up. But you've been thinking the same thing! I really think we should do this." Red stood up, pulling me up with him.

"If I go, I'm not taking you with me." He said.

"Why not?" I protested. "I literally just told you that's what I think will save our relationship."

"Because, Lapis, this is crazy. What about your mom, your life? You can't just drop everything for a summer and go somewhere with me. I don' t even know where I'll go."

"It doesn't matter. I want to leave. I want to go with you." Red sighed and hugged me.

"Lapis, I... I don't even know. What would we do?" I shook my head.

"It doesn't matter. I have a bunch of money from Christmas and birthdays. I can grab that and it should be enough to get us away for at least a couple of weeks." I thought he'd resigned, but then he pulled away.

"No, I can't do this. You're only sixteen, Lapis."

"And you're only seventeen. Why does that matter?" I asked.

"Because. What if something were to happen to you while we were gone? What if your mom decided to call the cops and press charges? I could get in serious trouble." I sighed.

"My mom won't call the cops. I already told her I might be spending the summer with Mangano's family. They're visiting her grandparents out of state. It'll be fine." Red ran his hand through his hair.

"I just... I don't know. Let me think about it. Can you come over tomorrow?" I shook my head.

"I have to go to Yellen Diamond's sixteenth birthday party. Our moms are like best friends, so if I don't go I'll get in huge trouble." Red laughed.

"I love you." I smiled.

"I love you too."

(A/N) Hey! I've had this as a draft for like a month because it just wasn't working for me. I'm finishing this up in school because I want to keep writing but I know that this scene needed to happen. Sorry for the short chapter, but I'll try my hardest to not take a month next time! <3 <3