Twenty Five-Sleepless in Beach City

Opal's Pov

Part one.

Jesus Christ, what was wrong with me?

It all started after Thanksgiving. I mean, I guess it really started with that God Damned kiss.

Anyhow, Sugilite woke me up a little after midnight on Black Friday and took me shopping with her. Technically, she brought me out to a bunch of different convenience stores to load up on junk food.

Alex noticed that I was exhausted later that day and asked me if I wanted to go out for coffee.

"How's law school?" I asked, sitting down across from her.

"It's going well," She said, probably peering at me from behind her ever-present sunglasses. "And you? You're studying psychology, aren't you?" I nodded.

"Sometimes I worry that I've bitten off more than I can chew. But I think things will be fine." I stared out the window.

"Opal, you know you can tell me anything, right?" I looked at her.

"You're suspicious." She smiled.

"It's a gift." I sighed and ran my hands through my hair.

"I guessed I've just been stressed."

"About what?" I shrugged.

"School? Pearl? The fifty million people staying at my house?" I sighed again. "Me and Sugilite..." Alex nodded.

"Did something happen between the two of you?" I looked up at her, confident she was trustworthy.

"I... I kissed somebody else." Alex furrowed her brow.

"And?"

"And... and I don't know what to tell Sugilite. Do I tell her at all?" I sighed and put my head on the table. "She doesn't even know I was with her."

"With who?" Alex asked. I sighed, knowing that I had to come clean eventually.

"With Rainbow." Alex nodded and leaned back in her chair, nodding to herself. I sat up. "What are you thinking?"

"That you're an idiot," I sighed. "But not completely unforgivable. You have to tell Sugilite as soon as possible. She's your girlfriend, and more than that she's your best friend. You need to do this." I sighed and nodded.

"You're right. I do." And I did. Just... not until Sunday.

Part two.

I went with Sugilite to bring Amethyst and Nikki home. Pearl and Peridot tried to come, Peridot even started screaming about 'the natural balance', but I told them they needed to stay home. Nikki and Amethyst were upset about going home, but that was no surprise from the conversation we had on the way up.

I found out why Sugilite bought all the junk food. She slipped tons of the candy and snacks into the girls' bags.

I hugged them both tightly before Sugilite took them inside.

"I love you guys."

"Love you too, sis," Amethyst said playfully. I sat and waited in Sugilite's car as she brought the girls inside and undoubtingly yelled at her mother. I sighed. I'd been putting off the conversation I knew we needed to have.

"Alright, let's go." Sugilite said nearly half an hour later when she came out."

"God, did you murder that woman?" I asked, looking back at the apartment as Sugilite pulled out and drove away.