Eighteen-Spirit of Halloween

Lapis's Pov

Red came to my house on Halloween. He said he wanted to take me to a Halloween party, but there were two bigs problems. One, I wasn't allowed to go to Halloween parties and two, I wasn't allowed to go out with Red until my mother met him. Our solution? Early dinner before we went "Trick or treating".

Of course I knew the evening would be ruined from the moment he arrived. He pulled up at five o'clock on his sister's motorcycle. She dropped him off and they had a short argument before he came inside.

"It's nice to meet you Mrs. Lazuli," He said, holding out his hand for Mother to shake. She simply glared at his hand and walked into the dining room to start dinner.

"So Red, Lapis tells me that both of your parents are teachers at Crystal Prep?" Red nodded.

"Yeah. My dad's a Science teacher amd my mom's a History teacher." He explained. So far, so good. My mom narrowed her eyes.

"What do you lke to do in your free time?" She interrogated. I gulped, we hadn't quite gone over this one.

"Well," He said, thinking. "Lately I've been trying to find orphanages to voulenteer at. I'm adopted, so helping out with kids who could use a big brother is really important to me." Mother seemed genuinly impressed, which I could understand. I knew he'd talked about wanting to voulenteer once or twice before, but I never thought he'd been serious.

"I'm impressed. You seem like a perfect young gentleman." She closed her eyes and thought for a moment. "Where will you be going?"

"Main street, like ninety percent of Beach City does?" I said, confused as to why she'd ask.

"Fine. And what are your costumes?" I rolled my eyes and pointed to my cat ear headband and badly drawn whiskers.

"I'm a cat mom, remember?" I was wearing a black sweatshirt and yoga pants over my real costume; I don't think she would've bought the trick or treating cover if she saw me in a miniskirt and a crop top. She nodded.

"I remember. You're matching with Malachite." As soon as she heard her name, Mali came crawling into the dining room. Mother sighed. "Watch Malachite doesn't mean you can place her on the floor and ignore her!" She called. I bent down and picked up my sister.

"Hey Mali. How did you like your small bout of freedom?" As a response, she spit in my face and laughed. I kissed her on the forehead and handed her to Mother.

"You two will be careful?" I rolled my eyes.

"Mom. We'll be fine. She stood up with Malachite and kissed my forehead.

"I love you. Be careful and be home by ten." I hugged her and grabbed my purse.

"Love you too! Bye!" I grabbed Red's hand and led him down towards Main street. "Where's the party?"

Parties were weird, honestly. I'd never been to a party with heavy drinking, only one or two people who started throwing up after one drink, but I expected this one to be different.

One of Red's senior friends was throwing it, and there were a few people from every grade there. Most of the girls were wearing the standard 'slutty cat' costume(which I guess I had no right to criticize), but I spotted a familiar face all decked out like a vampire.

"Sardonyx?" She turned around and smiled.

"Hey, Lapis! Long time no see!" She greeted.

"No shit. How are your sisters doing?" I asked.

"Good. Opal was in town over the weekend, but I didn't get a chance to see her. Ruby and Pearl are out Trick or treating with their girlfriends." I nodded.

"My mom talked to my aunt. She's finally starting to accept Sapphire." Sardonyx smiled.

"That's great. I gotta go, I'm in charge of Non-alcoholic beverages!" She disappeared into the crowd and Red pulled me into a room with people dancing.

"C'mon little Lappy, let's dance!" We ended up dancing for the majority of the time. There were plenty of people dancing way more inappropriately than we were, but I can't say my mom would've been please to see us dancing the way we were.

By the time it was getting to be nine thirty, we were just starting to get tired.

"Is your sister picking you up or do you need a ride home?" I asked Red.

"Who, Icy? Nah, she had plans tonight."

"Oh." I said quietly as we walked home together. I had my sweatshirt and yoga pants back on and we were holding hands, swinging them as we walked.

"I had a good time tonight," Red said after a minute.

"Oh, thanks. Me too." There were still some trick or treaters, but it was mostly middle schoolers. I could tell Red wanted to say something. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Oh, it's not much," He said. "I was just thinking."

"About what?" I asked.

"I was thinking about you," He explained. "And how much I love everything about you," I smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

"I love you too. I wish this night didn't have to end." His eyes brightened with an idea.

"It doesn't have to."

(A/N) It's ya girl, Sardonyx. Also Red's gonna sneak into Lapis's room so they can hang out all night but I got too lazy to actually write about it. Also I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year so updates this month might be slow.