Seventy-Four- Something Blue

Rainbow's Pov

When I was little, my dad was my hero.

He was always so cool to me, because I could always remember him coming home after a long day of work and giving me and Rose a big hug and telling us all about his day. He would tell us that even though he hated being away from us and my mom for so long, he had to work so he could pay the bills for our house and keep us in dance. I think there was a bit of a disconnect forming when I was a teenager and started acting out, but deep down he was still my dad and I loved him.

I think I only realized how pathetic he was when I was watching him marry someone who could be my older sister.

Not much of our side of the family was at the wedding. My grandparents weren't even there. When I looked around, I only saw a few cousins, and mostly my dad's friends. His friends looked happy for him, but the family looked just as uncomfortable as I was. Natalia's family looked happy for her. I remembered what I knew about them and just waited for the reception when they could distract me.

"Are you okay?" I asked my mom in a whisper as I leaned over halfway through the ceremony.

"Yeah," She whispered back. "Just waiting for the reception so I can go to the bar." We both giggled quietly.

"Do you think this'll be one of those things where they're relaxed about checking IDs?" She playfully hit my arm, then held my hand, and we watched the rest of the ceremony in silence.

Turns out, it was one of those things. I sipped on a glass of champagne as the reception hall swirled with activity. Somehow, people were already drunk, and children were running around screaming. My mother and I were lucky souls who go to sit with the newlyweds, along with Natalia's Mom and sisters. Her older sister was off chasing after her kids but the younger one was at the table drinking like it was the end of the world.

"Can you stop for two seconds?" Her mother asked. "I'm surprised you can even see past the glass you're holding!" She slammed her glass down on the table.

"Jesus Christ, woman. We're at a wedding. Let me enjoy myself!" The mom muttered something under her breath and walked away from the table. The sister smiled at me. "She's such a bitch." I smiled in response and sipped my drink.

"I'll be right back." My mom patted my shoulder and left, leaving e alone with Natalia's sister.

"Are you even old enough to be drinking?" She asked.

"I'm nineteen." She smiled and leaned back.

"And yet you drink like a pro."

"I haven't even had a whole glass of champagne."

"Kids who aren't used to drinking are like kids in a candy store. What's your name again?"

"Rainbow." She crinkled her nose. "Is your mom a hippie or something?" I shrugged. "My name is Drew." She looked around the room, then pulled a pack of cigarettes out of her purse. "Wanna go step outside with me?" I followed her outside the building to the parking lot, where she lit her cigarette. "Do you smoke?"

"No."

"Really?"

"I mean... I have, but I'm honestly not a fan."

"Weed?"

"Like I said."

"Hmm." She looked off into the distance as she took a drag.

"Your Dad's been seeing Nat for a while."

"Yeah, I know."

"Is that why your parents got divorced?" I took a deep breath and kicked a rock across the parking lot.

"It's a part of the reason, I guess." Drew took a few more drags then put the cigarette out. I watched her walk to a car I assumed was hers and spray herself with perfume, ditching the cigarettes.

"Everyone gets on my case for smoking. My mom thinks I've quit."

"Worse than for drinking?" She smiled and held a finger to her lips as we walked back into the building.

"Oh, there you two are!" My mom said as we came back to the table. "They're about the cut the cake." Natalia's mom and other sister were back, and so were her kids. I watched as my dad and Natalia got ready to cut the cake. They both looked happy, but only she looked excited.

"Nice wedding," I commented, leaning over to my mom.

"I guess," She said, looking up at Dad. "I've been to better."

(A/N): I swear to God I'm still alive. NaNoWriMo has been killing me, but I've done some Tsaatr shorts for that. I might post them in the Story Time book.