Fifty-One-Cold

Rainbow's Pov

Mom wasn't home when the doorbell rang and I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone from Beach City.

"Go away!" I yelled from the couch. The bell rang again. I ignored it for a bit, then it rang again. Feeling frustrated, I opened the door and found myself slipping back into my old ways. "What the hell do you want?" I looked at the short girl on the front step. She looked super uncomfortable about being there.

"I came to talk." She said.

"Well here, I'll close the door and you can talk to yourself all you want." I started to close the door.

"Wait! My sister sent me here!" I opened the door back up and looked at her closer. She hardly looked old enough to be a freshman, but I knew who she was.

"You're Yellen Diamond's sister," I commented, looking at her again. She gulped and nodded.

"She sent me here to talk to you."

"Yeah, well you can go home and tell her I'm not into that anymore," I said, starting to close the door again.

"Wait, no!" She shoved her foot in the doorway before I could hut the door. "I can't go back, Not until you give me answers." I sighed heavily and swung the door back open.

"Fine. What do you want?"

"I want you to tell me what's going on with my sister!" She said. "I want to know what she did that's bad enough for Jasper Tigereye to be able to blackmail her and I want to know what you have to do with it. She said that she wouldn't tell me what she did, but that you could tell me why she did it." I sighed.

"Fine. Come in." She followed me inside and I sat down in the kitchen. "Your name's like Penny or something, right?" She grumbled.

"Peridot." I nodded. "You know, Opal said that you weren't as much of a clod as you were in high school. I can see Pearl was right to be suspicious." That one struck me, if only for the mention of Opal. But I was still avoiding her, so I deflected.

"Clod? I don't even know what that means. But now I know who you are. You're Pearl's girlfriend, right?" She stiffened.

"Yeah, I guess I used to be..." Does that mean we both got our hearts broken by a Baroque?

"So what did you say Yellen sent you here to do?" She took a deep breath.

"Jasper's been blackmailing my sister. She even got her to steal two hundred dollars from my mother." I gasped a bit.

"Wait, from like her personal account or from the school account?" She shrugged and shook her head.

"Your guess is as good as mine. Anyhow, when I asked her why she's letting Jasper blackmail her and why she won't tell my mother, she said that she couldn't tell me, but it had something to do with you." I nodded.

"Has it occurred to you that she won't tell your mom because of the two hundred dollars she fucking stole?" Peridot shook her head.

"It's not just that, she doesn't want Mom to know what Jasper knows." SHe was quiet for a minute. "Do you know?" I inhaled.

"Not exactly. But I have a few good guesses." She practically lurched over the table at me.

"Then tell me!" I backed up a bit.

"Calm down!" I said. She sat back down.

"Fine, I'm sorry." She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, and when she opened it again, she yelled: "Canyoupleasetellmemoreaboutmysister?" It took me a moment to recover from the shock, but when I finally did, my cellphone in the living room rang.

"Ugh, give me a second." I pushed my chair out and practically dragged myself into the living room to answer it. "Hey, Mom,"

"Rainbow dear is the dining room clean?" I shrugged.

'I don't know, why?"

"Because you'll never guess who I ran into at the supermarket! Tahitia Baroque! She and the girls are coming over for dinner tonight! Won't that be pleasant? It's been so drab at home with just the two of us."

"I... what?" I couldn't comprehend what she'd said."

"I said that Tahitia is going to come over for dinner at our house tonight. And she'll be bringing Pearl and Opal. Won't that be just lovely?" And if there were ever a time where I'd wanted to throw up, it was right then.