13•Betrayal

**Alex's POV**

"That's all we needed to know." Detective Lloyd says twirling a pen in his fingers. He leans over and clicks off a recorder that's letting out a loud buzz. The noise immediately stops.

"That's it?" I ask warily. Lloyd was in charge of Mason's murder case, and I had talked to him previously a few days after Masons death.

"Yup." He says with a sigh. He looks at me more intensely. "Unless you have something else to tell me."

I shake my head. "No. I honestly can't remember anything."

"I had hoped a few weeks would be enough time for your memory to recover." Lloyd says getting up. "But I guess I was wrong."

I shrug my shoulders, hoping to look clueless. But I wasn't, I was far from clueless. I did remember, I remembered everything that happened that night, up until I had found Mason. But I wasn't telling anyone. I couldn't.

"So what's gonna happen now?" I ask, hoping my voice sounded as dull and inanimate as it did in my head.

"Nothing."

That stops me. I snap my eyes toward Detective Lloyd and watch as he grabs a file off the metal table. He starts to exit the room but I jolt forward and slam my hand on the door stopping it from opening.

"What do you mean by nothing?" I ask trying to keep my voice steady.

"I'm sorry. That's disclosed information." Lloyd says glaring at me. "I have work to do-"

"Wait-" I say desperately. "Please."

Detective Lloyd sighs and sits back down. He runs a hand through his grey hair, pulling off his glasses. "Nothing Alex. Nothing's going to happen. This case is closed. There's nothing more my team can find. It's just another unintentional murder at a party, a party where teens were drinking. Accidents like these happen all the time. What we can do from now on is try to prevent them from happening. " he folds his glasses and places them on the metal table. "I know that's not what you want to hear Alex. But this is how law goes. This is protocol. Your friend deserved so much better."

I sigh and place my head in my heads praying I won't crumple here. I had just lost a friend, and now I was going to loose another.

"It wasn't an accident." I say, my voice cracking.

Detective Lloyd's eyes snap to my direction, and he puts on his glasses. He flips his recorder back on, and the familiar buzzing fills the room.

"It was-" Oh god, I take a gulp of air and immediately the rock in my throat disappears.

"That day there was a fight. An argument between Mason and-" I shake my head. "It ended badly, and that night I remember him following Mason down the basement stairs. He returned a few moments later. That was the last time I saw Mason."

"Who was this person Alex." Detective Lloyd says standing up and facing me. "Who was it?"

I sigh and bury my head in my hands again.

"It was Austin."

important/// things are not always what they seem! The adventures just getting started here in Allenwood, and the innocent might not be as innocent as you think!