Epilogue// 3

...

I just want to start of with a big'ol thank you. From the bottom of my heart. I don't even understand how this story has 100,000 reads. It's just so incredible. You guys have given me the confidence to publish my work- but most importantly be proud of it. I'm so glad I have a platform where I can interact with you guys- and spread messages I think are extremely important. I love you all in ways you wouldn't even believe.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

-Marcella Rodio

Elizabeth's POV

15 years later.

"Okay, Okay." I chuckle, cringing slightly as my microphone lets out a loud screech. Laughter echoes around the room, and so does the clatter of waitresses and waiters carrying platters of food to each table. Fifteen  years ago the class of 22 graduated from Allen wood high, and now we've all been gathered to celebrate in a reunion. In all honesty it really is just a social event- where people brag about their jobs, and partners, and kids- Maybe even their car. 

"Woah- can you believe it. It's been fifteen years since I've last seen you all- and I'm not sure that's a bad thing." I say.  I play with my pearl necklace nervously, but thankfully everyone laughs happily. My husband Alexei told me to start of my speech with humour- thank god I listened to him.

"Thankfully we all dress better now- Do you all remember the dreads Martin used to wear? I certainly haven't forgotten." Laughter rings out again- and Martin Brown blushes as one of his friends messes up his meticulously gelled back grey hair. Definitely an improvement.

"I'm so glad to see how well this class has done. We have Meghan who's the CEO of Blooms And Suits, George who has recently signed his tenth contract with the Giants, Alissa who has come all the way from Hollywood, and my dear Husband Alexei- whose truly making an impact in the architectural field- his most amazing achievement marrying me of course."

The room erupts in laughter, and my husband raises his glass of champagne with a wink in my direction. He truly is handsome, with his strong jaw, gray eyes, and dark eyebrows. 

"We have truly come a long way from the teens we used to be- wandering through life not knowing where we would end up. I defiantly didn't know where my life would be heading-if my life would even continue at all fifteen years ago."

The room quiets, and I look up nervously.

"The year we graduated, was also the year we lost three classmates. Alice O'Conner, Alex North," I swallow, "and Mason Dale."

The room is solemn now, and eyes are staring up at me curiously. All anybody knows is rumors. But if they're waiting for answers I'm not sure I'm the one to grant them.

"Two of these classmates died of suicide. Suicide that could have been prevented. As a survivor of suicide, I can tell you all whole heartedly, that these deaths needed not to occur. But because these two people felt so isolated and alone- as I did once- they felt as if it was their only escape from a world that hated them was by taking their own life."

I shakingly take a breath as my voices catches with emotion. As stare in Alexei's direction, and he offers me a comforting smile.

"That's why ten years ago I formed my non-profit organization- No More Secrets. So that teenagers across America would no longer feel obligated to keep their pain hidden- a secret. So that we can loose the stigmatizations that makes suicide a topic that isn't discussed in schools and homes. A topic that is kept a secret." I smile more confidently.