TWO || ALEXANDER

The building is huge. Much bigger than I expected. It has a total of 60 floors. The man who owns his building can buy everything I've owned from when I was born in a span of two weeks. Just from that thought, I'm nervous. Very, very nervous.

It would be a lie if I said I am calm.

Adjusting my backpack strap, I slowly step inside, looking around curiously. There are shops filled with customers coming in and out of them. I spot a few workers dressed in neat uniforms, their hairs styled very carefully and their postures so straight that they walk like robots.

I wipe my sweaty hands against my pants. My heart is thundering in my chest, hard enough that I feel like it's going to pop out any moment. Taking a shaky breath, I make my way towards the front desk.

"Excuse me," I say to one of the employers. She looks up, a smile plastered on her face.

"Hello, sir," she says. Her voice is slightly accented as she speaks. "What can I help you with?"

I hold up the form with my ID picture on it. "Today's my first day working here. I need to go to the modeling studios. Which floor is that on?"

She rummages around the desk for a second before taking out a separate piece of paper. "This is the map of the building. You're gonna go all the way to the back entrance, take a left, and you'll find the elevators. The studios are on the 30th floor."

I thank the woman before rushing off, clutching my backpack to stop from bouncing against my back so much. The walk to the back entrance seems like forever before I spot the copper doors letting people in. As I almost miss the elevator, I feel embarrassed to see so many men and women dressed in very formal uniforms while I look so much like an amateur with my button down shirt and regular slacks.

Sweat has formed on my head and I quickly run a sleeve over my face. The elevator takes forever; we keep stopping at different floors every second. Taking the stairs seems much quicker.

When the elevator finally stops at the 30th floor, I step in and look around. There are several doors in opposite ends of the hallway. I spot the label "Studio 3B" and immediately walk towards it. Just before I turn the handle, I can already hear shouting and yelling coming from inside.

The noises only get louder once I walk in. Marveling at how humongous the room is, I set my backpack down and make my way towards the groups of photographers.

At the center corner is a green screen background with women in silky robes posing together. Photographers continue to point their cameras, the flashes so bright and blinding that I don't know how the models can stay still. Other crew members are busily walking by with props and clothes, rushing into dressing rooms quickly. Everyone is so busy with their tasks that they don't even glance at me when they pass by.

This environment is so...different.

"Excuse me," I mumble to one of the workers as I make my way towards the photographers. He's adjusting his camera and doesn't seem to hear me over the ruckus. I clear my throat and tap his shoulder, trying again. "Excuse me."

"What?" The man snaps, turning around. I'm taken aback from his sudden irritation. My face grows red with embarrassment as I start to fidget with the hem of my shirt.

"Uh, I'm n-new here," I say slowly. "My name is Alexander Cruz. Are you the team manager for the photographers?"

The man shakes his head. "Go ask that lady in the red suit. She'll help you out, kiddo."