ELEVEN || SASHA

a/n: hi everyone! so sorry for the slow updates. a very talented and helpful friend of mine, @samazingly (she is so good at making trailers, you all need to look at her book) created an awesome trailer for this book! please check it out if you can, it is definitely worth watching (: the trailer is uploaded in the INTRODUCTION chapter!

+

Odette clutches my hand again. "Miss Nam, I was foolish. I was jealous of you for having those clothes so I ripped them up."

I swat her arm away, sneering in disgust. "Those clothes were expensive, you idiot. How could you even think of touching them without my permission?"

My mother rests a hand on my shoulder. "Let's go, Sasha. This girl is already fired. We need to get to the meeting."

"No, wait!" Odette cries. She lunges for her and her hands are now clasped on my shirt collar. I shriek in alarm, stumbling backwards.

"Please, miss, I need the money," Odette sobs as tears stream down her eyes. "Give me another chance, will you? I promise I won't do anything like that again!"

My mother reaches over, smacking Odette in the face. Her head turns to the side and she screams in pain. I wrestle Odette's hands from my shirt and shove her back. The girl falls on her back, clutching at her cheek. She stares at me with pure hatred, one that is enough to send chills down my back.

"You're all monsters," Odette growls. She pulls herself to her feet. "You all deserve to die!"

My mother sighs loudly. She turns to the other maids with an annoyed expression. "Get this girl out. If she comes here again, call the police. I don't have time for her."

The maids all grab Odette obediently, dragging her off while she screams obscenities about me down the hallway. I grip my mother's hand as soon as we both hear the front door closing.

"I need a break," I mutter under my breath. My mother lets out a small chuckle as she nods her head in agreement.

"Unfortunately," my mother says as she guides me back to my room. "Time means money, and money means life. The clock is ticking away, Sasha."

I nod my head. "I know. I'll be ready in a few minutes."

As soon as my mother leaves, I run to my bathroom and lock the door shut. Pulling out my phone, I immediately the dial the caller that I must speak to.

"Hello?" Mr. Hong answers on the second call.

I take a deep breath. "Mr. Hong, do you have the packet?"

"Yes, miss. When would you like to pick it up?"

I glance at the time before replying, "Seven. Where will you be?"

"I have a family reunion just before then. I will be able to drop it off at your office on the way."

A shaky breath escapes my lips. "Okay. I will see you then."

My hand is trembling as I tuck my phone back into my purse. Staring back at me is a frightened girl. She is nervous. She is scared.

Because, in that packet, holds the final piece of the puzzle to Daniel's killer. 

+

The meeting bores me to death. I sit back in my chair the whole time, dozing off in my own thoughts. My father continues to scold and snap at every employer who tries to argue with him. Next to me, my mother is busily picking at her polished nails. She is just as bored as me, yet she pretends to be engaged in every conversation.