Chapter 1

"Dinah-Jane Hasen?"

"Here"

"Allyson Hernandez?"

"Here miss"

"Perrie Edwards?"

"Here"

Lauren spent a few more minutes going through the class register, reading out everyone's names clearly. It was her first day as a fifth grade teacher at mountain view school; a job she had been wanting to get for a long while.

She had been in and out of college for over three years trying to figure out what she wanted to do with her life, and finally, she had decided she wanted to be a teacher. The course she had taken was only a year long, and before she could really blink, it was over and done with.

It had taken a lot of hard work and a shit tone of determination, but she did it.

Being a teacher at the age of twenty one wasn't really something she imagined herself doing when she was younger, originally, she wanted to be a famous singer and write her own music while touring around the world.

But that hadn't happened, so teaching was next on the list.

So that left her here, standing in front of twenty or so students that were all looking at her with wide, curious eyes.

She set the register down and walked to the front of her desk, perching her butt down onto the end of it.

"Alright guys, I'm Miss Jauregui and I'm gonna be your teacher for this year. You guys are all turning ten years old this year right?" She asks, smiling slightly when everyone nods in conformation.

"Okay, then I assume you guys know what I expect from you this year?"

This time, only a few students nod, the rest just stare at her looking a little confused.

"When you guys are in this classroom, I expect good behaviour. There will be no talking over me, if you want my attention then you are to put your hand up and I will allow you to talk. I don't expect everyone in this classroom to be the best of friends, but I do expect you to all be civil and nice to each other, which leads me to my last rule. There will be no, and I repeat no bullying. I do not tolerate it in this classroom, or out on the playground. Do you guys understand?" She asks, making sure to keep her voice stern. She wanted to make a good impression ok her first day, and allowing her students to get away with just about anything was not on her to do list.

A chorus of 'yes miss's' were heard around the classroom, making Lauren smile again.

Well, this was easy.

"Okay then, does anyone have any questions before we get started?" She ask, looking around the room as she stands, picking up a whiteboard pen.

Allyson Hernandez, one of the quieter students sat at the back of the classroom raised her hand politely, once again making Lauren smile.

"Yes?"

"Do we get to-"

Ally was cut off by the classroom door opening, causing her to huff and cross her arms in annoyance. Lauren simply ignored it and turned round to face the door. She was met with a small girl with long brunette hair that cascaded down her shoulders until it reached her hips. She had on faded black leggings that came down to her ankles, along with a large dirty black sweater that came to about mid thigh and was pulled down enough to cover her hands.

An obvious sign of anxiety.

The small girl looked to be shaking with fear standing in front of everyone, and was looking down at the floor nervously, causing her hair to cover her face. Normally, Lauren wouldn't except tardiness, but as it was her first day on the job she decided to let her off, just this once.

"Go take your seat sweetheart" she said gently, gesturing to the middle of the classroom with her hand where there were a few spare seats. She could almost see the girl relax as she walked over to the seats, obviously relieved she wasn't going to be told off in front of everyone.

"Alright Allyson, what was your question?"

Camila's looked down at her lap and zoned out as Ally started to speak. She really didn't mean to be late, but she had to finish her chores before she could leave for school. Miss Anne said chores were more important than school, and she had the most out of all of the kids. She had to make all the beds, clean the bathrooms, vacuum the floors, wash all of the dishes from the night before and put them all away, and only then could she leave.

She had forgotten to do the dishes one time, and miss Anne wasn't very happy with her. She knew not to forget them again after that.

She tentatively reached her hand up to lightly touch her cheek, wincing slightly when her fingers made contact with her light bruise that sat there. The bruise was about a week old now, so it was no longer stood out as much as it once had.

She had only been at the orphanage for a year and a half, and she couldn't remember how many times miss Anne and the kids at the orphanage had hurt her. It hurt a lot, but miss Anne said she deserves it, so she doesn't complain.

Her mommy and daddy hurt her too, which was why she was sent to the orphanage in the first place. She thought the abuse would stop when she was away from her parents, but it didn't.

It only got worse.
*********************

I've had this written in my iPad notes for a while so I decided to post it. Ive already written about 7 or 8 chapters for this book and I know where I want to take the story line, which is why I decided to post it in the first place.

None of my books have a proper story line, I just wrote the first chapter when they came to mind and now I've lost inspiration for basically all of them.

You know when you get an idea for a book and your really exited to bring it to life, but then you lose the excitement and inspiration for it? Well yeah, that's kinda happened lol

But tell me what you think about chapter one!