Chapter 11

Her Lolo was there before she could even blink.

It surprised her really. She had never been first priority before, especially to an adult. It was nice. Really nice.

Lauren quickly unbuckled her seatbelt and pulled the small girl into her lap, holding her securely against her. She knew Camila's reaction to coming to the police station wouldn't be the best, and she cursed herself for not being more prepared.

"It's okay sweetheart, you don't have to be scared" she murmured, gently rocking the small girl in her arms. It was the only thing she could think of that might calm her down, as Lauren knew she had taken a liking to being rocked.

As soon as her small body was in her arms, she relaxed, making Lauren sigh with relief.

That didn't stop the heartbreaking cries escaping her lips though.

Camila felt like she couldn't breath. Yes, she was in her Lolo's arms, and yes, she felt safe, but that didn't stop the tiny voice in the back of her mind telling her that everything was about to go horribly wrong.

What if the mean police men made her go back to the orphanage?

What if they didn't let her go back with her Lolo?

With all these thoughts running through her head, she couldn't help but cry harder, her small body heaving with sobs.

Why did everything have to be so hard?!

Lauren pulled her closer, "it's okay baby, I promise I'll hold you the whole time, okay? I won't let you go" she murmured into the small girls ear through her sobs, her arms tightening around her small body in an attempt to sooth her.

She knew this whole process wouldn't be the easiest, but it had to be done.

Camila gripped onto her Lolo's shirt tightly, her knuckles turning white. She peaked up at Lauren, her eyes watery, filled with tears that had yet to fall. After looking into her eyes for a few minutes, she nodded her head hesitantly and rested her head on her Lauren's chest, staring into space.

Lauren smiled, albeit it was a little forced.

"Good girl, I'm so proud of you" she says, softly kissing the small girls head, her lips lingering for a few extra seconds before she pulled away. She really was proud of Camila, the small girl had been through hell and back, and yet she was still willing to carry on.

It amazed her, and again, she was so incredibly proud.

Camila smiled shyly at her words, and she reached up to tangle her hands in her Lolo's hair, an action that she'd realised comforted her a lot.

It meant a lot that her Lolo was proud of her, no one had ever been proud of her before.

But she doubted it would last. Everything good comes to an end eventually.

She rested her head on her Lolo's shoulder as she stands up and closes the car door, and she closes her eyes as her Lolo shifts her onto her hip and starts to walk. She knows she has to do this, but that didn't make it any less scary.

Lauren quietly hums underneath her breath as she walks, Camila contently set on her hip, her small hands playing with her hair. She'd noticed Camila doing that a lot, and she found it quite cute, endearing actually.

"You promise you'll hold me the whole time?" Camila whispers softly.

Lauren smiles, "I promise baby" she whispers back just as quiet, holding the girl close. She could feel Camila small body trembling against hers, and she honestly couldn't imagine how scared the small girl was feeling right now.