Chapter 4

"You're late again sweetheart, go take your seat and come see me after class" Lauren says quietly as a timid Camila hesitantly limps into the room. The small girl nods her head in response to her teachers words and tries to hurry to her seat, whimpering slightly as she sat down.

She tries her best to listen to miss Jauregui talk, but she found it too hard to concentrate. Her body physically hurt so much that if she wasn't in class in front of so many people, she would be sobbing. Mr Derick said that she deserved it, and that that she shouldn't cry about it because it was her own fault for being late.

She wanted to ask him why. Why would he do this? Why would he be so cruel and heartless? Why would he do this to a nine year old? She knew her questions would never get answers, but she couldn't help thinking that maybe one day she would actually have the guts to at least ask them.

She tried to imagine herself back in miss Jauregui's arms, to feel the same safeness and security she had felt last night. She tried to imagine it so so hard, but she found it too difficult. Her brain kept telling her that she didn't deserve to be safe, and that miss Jauregui didn't even what to hold her anyway.

She let her tears fall freely down her cheeks as she stared in front of her, she felt numb.

"Alright guys, enjoy English and I'll see you back here for maths" Lauren said, wiping the whiteboard off and setting the cloth back down onto her desk. As the last student leaves the room, Lauren makes her way to Camila and once again sits down next to her.

"Hey, you okay?" She asks, gently touching her shoulder. Her heart broke as the girl jumps slightly, a small whimpering sound leaving her mouth. The small girl looks at her with teary eyes and nods her head before looking down at her lap.

Lauren frowns slightly and shuffles her chair a little closer, "you know you can tell me right? I might be able to help" she says gently, reaching out to grasp the small girls hand.

Camila jumps slightly at the contact, but nonetheless she grips onto her teachers hand tightly, tears once again falling down her cheeks. She wanted to tell her, but Mr Derick had threatened to kill her. And what if miss Jauregui didn't believe her and Mr Derick found out she told? She knew then she would definitely be in for it.

So she shakes her head, "everything's okay" she mumbles in a quiet voice, ignoring the tears that fall.

Everything's okay.

"No it's not, you wouldn't be crying if it was. I promise I'll do my best to help if you tell me what's wrong" Lauren reassures, stroking the back of the small girls hand with her thumb.

It was the truth, if there was something going on with Camila that she could prevent, she would do her best to get her out of that situation, she wasn't going to let the poor child suffer.

Camila felt her throat tighten as she tried to hold back hers, "I-i don't want to do it anymore" she manages to choke out, tightening her grip on miss Jauregui's hand. She was so tired, she just wanted it all to end.

Lauren frowns, "Do what sweetheart?" She asks, sighing heavily when the small girl didn't answer her. She reached out and slid her arms underneath Camila's armpits, gently lifting her into her lap and wrapping her arms round her securely. Camila lent heavily against her, her head once again resting on her chest while her hands tightly gripped her blazer.

Camila knew she shouldn't get so attached to her teacher, after all, she was her teacher. But she couldn't help it, miss Jauregui's arms were the only arms she's been in that hadn't hurt her, it made her wish she could stay with miss Jauregui forever, she would never hurt her like Mr Derrick and miss Anne do. She would keep her safe, hold her when she wanted to be held and calm her down if she got upset.

She would be the perfect mommy.

Camila knew that was never going to happen though. Miss Anne had made it pretty clear that nobody would ever want her, that she was too bad too be loved, and she believed it.

Lauren wished she knew what the small girl was thinking. She was tense on her lap, and her hands were turning white from gripping onto her so tightly, so she knew whatever she was thinking wasn't exactly good. She sighed lightly and pulled Camila closer to her, placing a soft kiss onto her hair.

*****

Camila sighed and kicked another rock. She had tried to delay it as long as she possibly could, but she knew she had to go back to the orphanage sooner or later. She was purposely going to go the long way back though, well, as soon as she built up enough confidence to actually leave the the parking lot. The longer it took her to get back, the chance of Mr derrick being there wouldn't be as big.

She knew he would still hurt her, even though she hadn't told anyone about what he did. It was like he had to hurt somebody to feel good about himself, and Camila hated that.

She sighed tearfully and sat down on the edge of the footpath, bringing her legs up to her chest and wrapping her arms tightly around them. She could stay here for a little while, everything would be fine. She would rather spend the night outside than inside with him.

She rested her chin on her knees and looked around at her surroundings with wide eager eyes, she didn't want anyone to get her again so she refused to let her guard down or fall asleep.

She watched with wide eyes as a woman left the school building, she had long hair that was put back into a pony tail, and she was wearing sweatpants and a hoody. Why was someone leaving the school building wearing that? Wait, was that who she thought it was? She carried on staring at the woman to try and get a better look before she accidentally made eye contact with her, causing her to hide her face in her knees.

*
Lauren mumbled curse words under her breath as she once again picked up her car keys from the small table by the door. She had been in such a rush to get home that she had forgotten her phone at school, which had already happened once before much to her annoyance.

She knew it was probably because she was distracted.

She got back into her car and made the journey to school in ten minutes flat, leaving her enough time to grab her phone before they locked the school building up for the night. She was about to get into her car again before she saw a young girl sat against the footpath, staring at her curiously.

Wait...that wasn't Camila was it? She opened the back door to her car and dumped her phone and purse into it before closing and locking the car behind her. You can never be too careful.

Sticking her hands into her hoody pocket, she quietly made her way over to the small figure who was now hiding her face from view. When she was a few feet away, she crouched down in front of her.

"Camila sweetheart, is that you?"

****

Would you guys like Camila to act younger than she really is or older?

Thanks for reading!!