Chapter 9

When Lauren woke the next morning, she saw Camila fast asleep next to her, curled up with her thumb in her mouth. It had been another two hours before Lauren managed to get her back to sleep last night, in the end, it had taken Lauren pacing around the room with her in her arms, lightly humming underneath her breath.

As cute as Lauren found it, Camila responding well to being rocked to sleep like an infant wasn't good, it just showed her how badly the girl was deprived of comfort and nurturing.

Still, that's something she would deal with later. Right now she needed to find out what Camila's living situation is going to be. She knew the first step was going to the orphanage, and as much as she'd like to kill the owners, she wasn't going to, because that wouldn't do Camila any good.

Or herself.

She thanked god today was a Saturday.

Sighing heavily, she got out of bed and headed straight to the bathroom, doing everything she needed to do before picking out her outfit. She decided on black skinny jeans along with a pale pink sweatshirt. Once dressed, she walked back to her bed and sat on the edge, resting her hand on the small girls back.

She smiled when Camila tried to get closer to her in her sleep, her hand reaching out as if she sensed Lauren to be there.

It amazed Lauren how much Camila actually trusted her already.

Lauren gently grasped her hand and ran her thumb over the back of it, watching as the small girls eyes flickered open, looking around the room sleepily until she made contact with her own.

"Hi sleepy girl, it's time to get up" Lauren cooed softly, reaching out to brush some of the girls crazy bed hair out of her face.

Camila pulled her thumb out of her mouth and rubbed her eye tiredly, making eye contact with Lauren. She smiled sleepily and reached for her, her smile widening when her Lauren didn't hesitate to pull her onto her lap, holding her tightly.

"Did you sleep good?" Lauren asks, lightly kissing the side of the small girls head.

Camila nods her head softly, her small hands coming up to play with Lauren's hair. As soon as she got to cuddle with her Lauren last night, she'd slept fine, she just didn't like sleeping on her own, or being alone in general.

And it was like her Lauren already knew that.

Lauren smiled happily and stood up from the bed, shifting the small girl onto her hip. She made the small walk from her bedroom to the living area and headed straight to the kitchen. Shifting Camila onto her other hip, she opened the door to the pantry and moved some stuff out of the way, so Camila could get a better look at the different food options there were to pick from.

"What would you like for breakfast?" She asked, glancing back at Camila with a small smile.

Camila peered into the pantry with wide eyes. There was so much food to choose from, chips, cookies, cereal, and so much more. How was she meant to choose? She anxiously looked from her Lauren to the pantry, tears forming in her eyes. She had never been in the same room as so much food before.

What if she picked the wrong thing?

Lauren immediately closed the pantry, silently cursing herself for overwhelming the small girl in her arms. Her eyes widened when Camila buries her head into her neck, heavy, but quiet sobs escaping her lips.