Chapter 28

Camila bites her lip to stop herself from crying as she dejectedly walks back into the living room. She didn't know why, but what her mama said to her had hurt enough to make her want to run away and hide, and considering how much she's improved with her neves this past week, that's not something she thought  she would ever say again. 

No, mama may not have said what she did in a mean way, but with the tone of her voice, Camila knew she wasn't playing around.

For the first time this week, her mama had made her feel bad and unwanted, and that hurt a lot more than she'd like to admit. Her mama was her rock, she wasn't supposed to make her feel like this.

She stops by the couch and hesitates on whether or not to do as she's told, but after debating with herself for a minute, she eventually she makes her mind up and makes her way down the hall and into mama's room. If she didn't want her near her at the moment, then her bed that had her scent on would have to do.

After she struggles slightly to climb on, she buries herself into the mountain of blankets and closes her eyes in an attempt to stop anymore tears from falling down her already wet cheeks.

Maybe mama was getting bored of her.

Maybe mama didn't want her here anymore.

Maybe miss Anne was right.

I mean, she was expecting this to happen sooner or later, so it didn't really come as much of a surprise to her, she just didn't expect it to hurt this badly.

She fumbles around to see if she can find her lamb paci, but when she comes up empty handed, it's like the sobs she had once been trying so hard to hold in, escaped without no warning.

She felt so scared.

She didn't know why she was reacting like this to something so small, but in her short life, her mama was the first person to look after her, to hold her, to make her feel safe and loved, and that one simple line of rejection coming from her mama's mouth had hit her hard.

It was like all of her fears were coming true.

Lauren sighs as she finishes her food, and she stands up and places her bowl into the sink. Maybe she should have let Camila stay with her...

"Are you done?" She asks Normani, sending the girl a small smile.

She nods and hands Lauren her bowl, "Yeah, I'm done" she mumbles, looking down at her lap.

Lauren places her bowl into the sink, "Good girl. Go get ready for bed and tell mila to do the same" she says quietly as she turns on the faucet, getting ready to wash up.

Normani nods and walks out of the kitchen, making her way down the hall and to the main bathroom. Just as she goes to open the bathroom door, she's interrupted by loud, heartbreaking cries.

Was that Camila?

Taking her hand off of the bathroom door handle, she tentatively walks to the direction of where the noise was coming from, stopping outside the door. She feels unsure on whether or not she should go in.

I mean, Camila hasn't exactly make her feel welcome today, so why should she comfort her?

She silently gets mad at herself for thinking that. If she was this upset, she'd want someone to come comfort her, just like Camila probably does too. Sighing lightly, she opens Lauren's bedroom door and walks in, closing it quietly behind her.

She didn't want to startle her.

There Camila was, led on the bed with her face hidden in her arms. Her small body shaking with heavy sobs, and Normani had never seen anything like it before. Yeah, she's seen people cry, but definitely not like this.