Chapter 29

"Alright, how about we finish getting you ready for bed, and then we'll go watch a movie?" Lauren asks as she rises to her feet with Camila still in her hold. They had both sat in silence, content to just be in each others presence for about ten minutes, but Lauren didn't want to leave Normani on her own for too long.

Camila holds her arms up and lets the shirt be removed from her body, "Mani too?" She asks, a small, hopeful smile on her face.

After Normani came in and tried to comfort her earlier, she feels like she needs to repay her somehow. Maybe Normani wasn't trying to take mama away like she feared. Maybe she just wants to feel accepted here, just like she once had.

Lauren pulls down Camila's pull-up and hands her a few baby wipes before reaching for Camila's pyjamas that were on the counter, "of course, we wouldn't want to leave her out would we?" Lauren asks as she holds the pull up open for the small girl to step into.

Camila places her hands on mama's shoulders to keep her balance as she steps into the pull-up, "no mama" she murmurs quietly.

As mama helps her into her pyjama pants, she starts to feel a little guilty. Ever since mama picked Normani up from the police station earlier, she hasn't been very nice to her. No she didn't say anything mean or hit her, but she hasn't exactly been very welcoming either.

Normani was probably feeling very scared, and she hasn't done anything to help her feel better.

Lauren frowns when she see's her baby tear up again, and she makes quick work of helping her into her pyjama shirt before picking her up.

"What's the matter love?" She asks, sitting the small girl on the side. Camila still felt very warm, and she wanted to see if her temperature had gone up or down at all.

The small girl watches her mama as she takes a thermometer out of the draw under the sink, a frown on her face.

"I haven't been very nice to Normani" she admits quietly, opening her mouth when the thermometers held to her lips.

Lauren pouts, "It's not that you haven't been very nice baby, I just think you're both adjusting to a new situation. You've never had to share me before, have you?" She asks.

Camila shakes her head.

Lauren smiles slightly, "Mama thinks you're just a little nervous my love. And I suspect Normani's probably very nervous too. This living situation isn't exactly ideal for either of you, but it's not a forever thing. Soon, Normani will have a home with a Mommy to love her, just like you do, and until then, we need to make her feel as comfortable as possible. Can you do that for me?" She asks, taking the thermometer out of Camila's mouth as it beeps.

The small girl nods, "I can mama"

"Good girl, right, you're temperature seems to have gone down a lot, and I think you'll be all better by morning" Lauren explains as she reads the small screen.

99

Definitely a lot better.

"School?" Camila asks as she's lifted from the counter.

Lauren nods, "yep, and I'll be there too so you won't have to worry. Wanna do a big favour for mama and go give Normani some pyjamas to wear?" She asks as she carries Camila from her room to her own.

"Yeah mama" Camila says, eager to make Normani feel a little more welcomed. Even though she hasn't been very welcoming all day, she can easily start now.