Chapter 11

Once outside, Dave turned to the teens.

“You ever hear of squirbos?” Dave asked. Alex and Josie slowly shook their heads in response.

“You know, those furry little rodents that dig holes in your lawn?” Again, their heads shook.

“Well, I’ve been detecting some squirbo movement in your lawn for a while. The only way to get them is to hit them with a shovel!” He then pointed to the shovel in his hand.

“So you expect us to hit creatures we’ve never seen or heard of before with a shovel?” Alex asked.

“Pretty much,” Dave replied. Josie just rolled her eyes.

“I’d rather play Wall-Nut Bowling with no protection...” she murmured.

“C’mon, it’ll be fun!” Dave said with enthusiasm.

“Wait...do you hear that?” Alex asked. They all paused in silence and didn’t hear anything except the noise blaring through the game room.

“Wait, do you mean that high-pitched whirring noise?” Josie asked.

“Yeah!” Alex responded. A few seconds later, the noise became louder and louder.

“It sounds like it’s coming from above us!” Dave realized. They all looked up and at first didn’t see anything. However, after a few seconds, they all saw it; tons and tons of strange objects flying towards the house!

“Get inside!!” Alex shouted, and they all quickly did as he suggested. Once inside, they peeked out the window and instantly saw gravestones plopping onto the ground! They kept coming and coming until every square on the lawn was filled! Even then, more kept coming and landed on the street! There had to have been well over 50 total!

“This can’t be good...” Josie said with worry. Alex paused for a second before looking at the shovel in Dave’s hand and getting a smile on his face.

Suddenly, a hissing sound was heard from one of the front gravestones. Sure enough, it shattered and revealed a zombie! Taking his chance, Alex grabbed the shovel out of Dave’s hand and ran outside.

“Alex!” Josie exclaimed. “What are you doing?!” But Alex just ignored her and ran off the porch. Without stopping, he swung the shovel back and smacked the zombie right in the face! The zombie’s head flew off and the body collapsed.

Immediately after, another gravestone near the middle hissed and shattered. Alex then ran after that zombie and hit it, as well! Soon, more and more of the gravestones were shattering and revealing zombies that headed towards the house, but Alex managed to keep hitting them all!

Finally, though, more zombies than he could handle started appearing! He was doing fine for a while but he was starting to get scared that he wasn’t doing well!

Suddenly, he heard a rumbling noise nearby! He quickly turned around and saw a Grave Buster eating one of the graves that hadn’t been shattered yet!

“Thanks, guys!” he shouted towards the house. He then continued fighting the zombies as the rumbling noise commenced. At one point, he heard a POWIE and saw a group of zombies nearby explode.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, all the zombies were gone. He then deeply exhaled with relief and sprinted back to the house, where Josie and Crazy Dave were waiting for him. Once he was inside and had the door locked, Josie slapped him across the face.

“Are you crazy?!” she shouted. “You could’ve gotten killed!!!”

“Hey, it seemed like a good idea!” Alex responded. “Besides, it’s not like we could’ve planted anything except Grave Busters! We needed something else at the moment to get rid of them!”