Chapter 14

Alex was drawing in his sketchpad in his room when he got a knock at the door.

“Come in!” he called out. A second later, the door opened, revealing Josie in the doorway.

“Oh, hey,” he told her and then looked back at the drawing.

“Hey,” she responded and then shut the door. “Whatcha drawing?” she asked.

“Nothing, really,” Alex replied. “Just some of the Plants.”

“Can I see?” Josie replied with interest. Alex stared at her for a second before giving her the paper. She looked and saw a very accurate drawing of Peashooter, Sunflower, Wall-Nut, and Snow Pea. To the left, she saw a half-finished sketch of Potato Mine.

“Not bad!” she said with a nod. “Looks just like a photograph!” Alex just chuckled.

“Thanks,” he responded and then took the sketchbook back. He then proceeded to continue drawing Potato Mine.

“So, Alex,” she continued in a serious tone, “As I said earlier, it’s getting quite easy to take the zombies out...which means we’re somewhat safer now...” Alex suddenly froze. He knew exactly where she was going with this. He looked up at her and she had a serious look on her face.

Before she could say anything else, he quickly asked, “Josie, why are you so quick to want a kid?” She just stood there stunned.

After a while, she replied, “I don’t know...I’ve always had a way with kids, especially babies...and I guess since you’re my last chance of having my own and being a mother...I just don’t want to miss the chance, you know?” She looked like she was about to cry again. Alex then got up, walked over to her, and hugged her.

“You don’t have to be upset about this,” he told her. “I understand you exactly. I’ve felt the same way.”

“Then why do you seem so nervous about this?!” she demanded. Alex slowly shrugged in response.

“Maybe it has something to do with the fact I’ve mostly really thought of you as a friend...I mean, it would be kind of like having a kid with my sister!” Josie just chuckled.

“I’m serious!” he continued. “Look, I know you’re serious about this, and I am too! But...I don’t know...I guess I’m just not ready yet. After all, I’ve only known about your crush on me for a few hours! It’s kinda rushing it, don’t you think?” Josie just shrugged.

“I suppose so...” she admitted. She then placed her head into his chest again. “When will it NOT be rushing it?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” Alex admitted. “I guess we’ll have to see.” She then looked up at him with her sparkling eyes. After a second, a smile came across her face.

“I can feel your heart beating,” she told him. “It’s pumping pretty fast.”

“Well, I ain’t exactly all calmed and relaxed right now,” he told her. She continued smiling at him with her gorgeous smile. She then suddenly grabbed his hand and moved it towards her chest.

“Josie!” Alex gasped. “What are you...?” Before he could finish, she placed his hand right on top of her heart. He felt it beating really fast, just like his own.

“I’m not calm, either,” she admitted. They just stood staring at each other for a few seconds.

Suddenly, she quickly moved her face towards Alex’s. Before he could react, her lips touched his left cheek for a split second before she pulled away. Her smile seemed bigger than before. Alex just stood there dumbfounded.