Chapter 18

"Alex!! Wake up!! Wake up!!"

Alex quickly opened his eyes again, sat up, and breathed heavily. He turned and saw Josie and Freddy sitting next to his bed with worried expressions on their faces.

"Are you okay?" Freddy asked with concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Alex replied, although he wasn't sure how true that was.

"Sounded like a pretty bad nightmare," Josie said softly.

"It was," Alex admitted. "I dreamt Dave was a zombie and tried to kill me!"

"Rough!" Freddy said with wide eyes.

"Well, it's all over now," Josie concluded with her hand on Alex's shoulder.

"I guess so," Alex replied with a nod.

"Speaking of Dave," Freddy suddenly told them, "what do you say we check what he's up to?"

Wit that, Alex got out of bed and they headed downstairs and into the basement.

Once downstairs, the teens saw the lunatic at the work table clearly doing something. From what they could see on the table, the newest Plant was yellow, but that's all they could see.

Then, Dave turned around and saw the three teens in the basement. When he did, he smiled and stepped out of the way.

When he did, the teens could clearly see the Plant on the table was in the shape of a yellow star. It also had two big eyes in the middle, as well as one buck tooth in its mouth.

"This," Dave explained, "is Starfruit! As requested, he can fire stars in 5 different directions all around him!"

"Excellent!" Josie replied with a smile.

ERT! ERT! ERT!

Everyone turned to the TV and saw zombies approaching the backyard! Dave then sat down and started planting.

After planting the Sun-Shrooms and Puff-Shrooms, he simply waited for other zombies to appear through the fog. Sure enough, a Conehead could be seen through the fog. After planting a Plantern behind a Wall-Nut, the area could be lit up to reveal another Conehead near it.

After taking those out with Puff-Shrooms, they all noticed more zombies approaching.

"Let's get fruity!' Dave said aloud. "STAR fruity!"

He then planted a Starfruit in the fifth column from the house, second row down. Right away, the Plant fired 5 stars out of his points. One went straight down, one to the bottom right, one to the top right, one directly behind, and one to the back left! While most weren't going towards zombies, a few were direct hits!!

"Don't worry," Dave told the kids. "By my calculations, a whole column would do considerable damage!"

He then kept placing the Starfruits along the column when needed.

Once or twice, a Digger Zombie appeared at the back, but it was nothing some Split Peas couldn't stop. There were also Jack-In-The-Box Zombies, but the mass amount of Starfruits took them out no with problem.

Finally, with a whole column full of Starfruits, the two columns behind it full of Split Peas, and a few Puff-Shrooms for close range, it didn't take much more effort to defeat the remaining zombies.

"That was amazing!" Freddy said with a giant smile on his face. "We just keep getting better and better!"

"So are they, though," Alex told him. "We still need to be extra careful."

"Understood!" Dave replied. He then paused, grabbed his gut, and continued, "but first, I gotta use the facilities!"

He then bolted off the chair and ran upstairs.