Chapter Seventeen

--------------------

Dedication: Daliah1998 for being so supportive and posting so many quotes of this story! I really appreciate it <3

Recap:

I take that as my cue to silently slip away, mulling over the newly learnt information in my mind.

Firstly, I need to deal with Samara and Jai.

Secondly, I need to deal with myself and my own feelings, although I know, that is going to be a much more difficult task, than the first.

---------------------

"I didn't want to tell you, because it would make me feel worse than I already do," Samara huffs as she slides her large, gold hoop through her ear.

"What do you mean?" I question, sitting back onto my bed, already organised for tonight.

"I know Jai's one of your good friends, practically a part of your family. He's an amazing guy, I just... don't feel the same way. I love being single, I don't want to be tied down. Not until I at least get with Eli Matthews. Then, I can die happy," she informs me and I laugh, her obsession with Eli still prominent after all these years. She turns to me. "By the way, if I got offered to have 'revenge sex' with Eli, I would do it in a heartbeat."

"Don't remind me," I laugh, shaking my head, knowing that if I ever did take up the offer, Samara would kill me in my sleep. "And I'm not going to make you feel bad. You can't force yourself to like someone."

"But you think we would work together and be really cute, don't you?"

"Yes," I grin widely. "Jai would be a good boyfriend."

"I know," she pouts. "Maybe in the future, but not right now. I'm having too much fun."

"Your call," I shrug.

Samara has always been like this. She always has some guy following her around. She loves the chase, the thrill of dating and being able to do whatever she wants. I, on the other hand, desperately want to settle down and have a solid relationship. I am a hopeless romantic, forever seeking a big love that only exists in books or movies.

Samara turns to me. "How do I look?"

Tonight, Samara and I are heading to the school carnival. I used to be heavily involved in fundraisers like this, but not anymore.

"Gorgeous," I honestly advise her.

She is dressed similar to me. We both have high-waist, denim shorts on, but I have a high-neck, black top on, whereas hers is maroon and low-cut, once again, appearing much more daring compared to my outfit.

I get to my feet, giving myself a quick once over. I have my hair tied in a messy bun, on the top of my head, with wisps falling down to frame my face. Samara has hers in a high pony tail, her long, red hair trailing down her back.

She follows me through the house and I call out bye to mum, before slipping out the front door.

"Want me to drive?"

I cringe at the thought. "Uh, I'll drive."

"Suit yourself," she shrugs, not picking up on my fear.

There is more traffic on the road, compared to usual, as we make our way across town. The carnivals always draw a large crowd. It's often hard to find a car park. I was almost going to ask mum to take us, but she is going herself, with a group of teachers from her school.

The air is cool when I step out, but not cold enough to make me regret wearing shorts.

Samara loops her left arm through my right one, as we head towards the dazzling lights. The sounds of whirring rides, children's laughter and the chatter of voices being spoken can be heard through the night air.