Chapter Forty

---------------------

Dedication: Cloudy_999 for saying that each update is amazing and that you can't wait for the next one! <3

Recap:

Every sound, every stick crack or wind moan, I snap my head up, hoping to see Miles loping towards me, his beautiful smile on his face.

The temperature begins to drop as I wait.

Thirty minutes quickly morphs into an hour. And then an hour and a half.

I'm shivering, my teeth chattering against each other as I hug my legs to my chest, feeling incredibly stupid and alone. Just like last time.

I can't believe this has happened again.

---------------------

When I scramble to my feet, my tear-stained cheeks cold from the wind, I feel incredibly stupid.

Has this been his plan all along? Surely, someone could not fake those words, those feelings... He couldn't be that good of an actor.

Something... Something has happened. That is the only thing I can believe. That thought is the very string keeping my sanity together. My fingers feel numb when I dial his number again.

"Hello, you've reached the voice mail of ---" I let out a groan of anger as I am tempted to throw my phone at the ground.

I numbly walk to the locker room. It's dark. The only sounds I can hear is my quickened breathing and one of the taps drizzling water into the basin beneath it.

"Miles?" I whisper, before clearing my throat. "Miles?"

No answer.

Beginning to feel creeped out, I take a deep breath and turn my phone light on. I roam through the dark room, hoping that nothing will jump out to scare me. I seem to hold my breath the entire time I'm in there.

When everything looks the same as it always does, the stench of body odour and sweat still lingering in the air, I skulk back outside, feeling defeated.

I really thought he might have slipped... that something could have happened.

I can't believe he would do this to me. He couldn't have...

Withdrawing my phone out one more time and hugging Miles' jersey to me for comfort, I try calling Kiarra. Her phone rings out. She will be dancing, or doing something fun. She won't have even felt it.

Feeling like a lost puppy with my tail in between my legs, I drag my feet with me, making my way home, feeling utterly deflated and alone.

***

Two Hours Earlier

Miles' POV:

My eyes sting with sweat as I switch the shower nozzle on.

I press my hand against the tiles as the cool water runs through my hair and down my back, removing the grime and dirt from my skin. When I close my eyes, I see her. Her soft eyes, her cute smile.

Tonight.

I can't wait.

Even though I should feel exhausted after the game, I feel alive with energy. I rinse myself off thoroughly, wanting to feel as clean as possible. After towelling off, I yank a pair of dark jeans on and a maroon t-shirt, rolling the sleeves. I flatten down my wet hair, using the dingy mirror duct taped to the wall to see.

"Hot date tonight?" Jai smirks at me, clapping his hand down onto my shoulder.

He knows full well what is happening tonight, considering he's dating Kiarra, Isobel's best friend.