Chapter Twenty Four

---------------------

Dedication: -JORDAN_WALLACE- for always thanking me for updating :-)

Recap:

I am running. I am weaving through the crowd of people, feeling my heart crushing inside my chest with every step. He calls for me but I don't turn around. I feel like someone has a grip on my heart and with each agonising step, they are squeezing tighter and tighter.

Tears spill from my eyes as I run, hardly drawing a breath.

I am a damn fool.

---------------------

"Isobel!"

His voice is loud, which means he must only be steps behind me. I push my legs to go faster, even though I know I can never outrun him.

"Wait!" he insists, his fingers curling around my wrist. He reefs me back and I stumble back from the force. He steadies me quickly and I glare down at the ground, my chest heaving.

"What?" I spit through my teeth, desperately trying to keep my eyes from pooling.

"You can't believe that I would do that," he says with disbelief, his hand tightening. "I just confessed my love for you. Why would I throw that all away, for some girl I don't even know?"

"I don't know Miles, because you like to torture me?" I exclaim, whirling around to face him. "You're angry at me for pushing you out? You want me to experience the kind of hurt we put you through?" I am yelling at this point, I am crying and I am humiliated beyond words.

His shoulders sag. "I don't blame you for cutting me out. I hurt you badly. I ruined everything. I wouldn't come back here and try this hard to be back with you, to screw you over again. I know that you battle to trust me, but I am telling you the truth. I have no idea who that girl is. I promise you."

"She was in your bed." I cry out, wrenching my wrist from his hold, so I can rake my fingers through my hair. "She knew your name."

"I don't even know who she is!" he argues, his cheeks flushed. "I swear to you. I've never seen her before."

"This makes no sense," I groan, tugging at my hair painfully. "How can I believe you?"

"I don't know," he sighs, rubbing his face. "I don't know if this was some plan of Emily's. She knew I was meeting up with you tonight."

"Why would she do this to me? She doesn't even know me?" I huff.

"She wants what she can't have," he sighs, looking mature beyond his years in this moment. "It's all a game to her. She knows I love you and she wants to play with that fact. She's unstable. I told you that."

"You promise you've never seen that girl?" I whine, sounding pathetic. "You've never done anything with her?"

"I promise." he says to me, reaching out for my hands.

I slide my fingers through his. He pulls me to him and wraps his arms comfortingly around me. I let out an exhale as I bury my face into his chest, feeling tired.

"I'm really sorry you thought I would betray you like that," he murmurs, his hand rubbing my back.

"I'm sorry I thought you would." I mumble.

"I've given you plenty of reasons not to trust me. I know it's hard for you."

"I don't want you to go back there," I whisper, holding him closer.

"I have to," he chuckles, taking a step back, but still holding my hand loosely in his. "I have nowhere else to go."

My face crumples. I wish I could bring him back to my house, but it wouldn't go down well.