Epilogue

-------------------

-------------------

Dedication: PhoenixFeathers24 for the cover! Thank you!

--------------------

A few months later

"How have you been?" Ashley questions as she takes a sip of her coffee. She leans back into her chair, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. She gives me a warm smile.

"Really good," I tell her honestly. "Miles' and I moved into our place last weekend."

"That's fantastic!" she beams at me. "You two have come so far."

"Yeah," I agree with a shy smile. "I never would have imagined us to be living together. Especially after everything."

"True love conquers all," she teases.

I let out a quiet laugh. "And you? How have you been?"

"I've been well. I'm taking next semester off and am travelling to Europe. I'm also thinking of taking a position across town. It's an office job."

"Oh that sounds great!"

"I haven't made a decision yet. And I've been dating a guy for a few months now, so that might change things." Her cheeks blossom red when she speaks about him and her lips curve upwards. I smile and lean forward, planting my chin into my palm. "Gosh, Isobel, he is so great. So nice and handsome. You'd like him."

"Sounds amazing!" I gush. "When can I meet him?"

"Maybe we could have drinks one night?" she asks, before pausing. "That's totally inappropriate, isn't it? Considering I counselled you."

"Well, it was a mandatory counselling through school. I didn't seek you out and pay you to counsel me. We just happened to be paired." I shrug. "I don't see the harm in being friends. Especially since I've graduated. And you might not return to work for the school, anyway."

She purses her lips. "Still feels wrong, doesn't it?"

"Not to me, but maybe for you," I laugh.

"True. What are your plans for this afternoon?"

"I have a wedding, actually. It starts at three," I glance down at my phone to check the time. "It's Miles' father's."

"Oh!" she looks surprised. "I didn't think they got along."

"They don't. He wasn't even invited to the wedding." Ashley's mouth drops. "I know. I was invited and not his own son. Mum and I went around there for a talk. Well, mum basically abused him." I roll my eyes. "But anyway, Miles is going now. We had dinner with his father a couple weeks ago. It was really awkward and tense, but progress, at least."

She nods, looking thoughtful. "The relationship will never be great, by the sounds of it, but if they can be in the same room, I think that's a good start."