Chapter Twenty Nine

----------------------

Dedication: Twinkletune for commenting so many times! I love reading all your comments! <3

Recap:

I shake my head, even though I know he can't see me. "Miles, please don't overreact. Listen to what I have to say-"

My words die down when I hear a girl laughing.

"Who is that?" I ask him in a small voice.

He hangs up without a word and I let my phone slip from my hands.

This is not happening.

---------------------

The sinking feeling of my heart plummeting into my stomach is something I never want to feel again.

It's the same feeling when he stood me up, almost two years ago, and I found he was with another girl.

It's a terrible, heart-aching experiencing that I don't wish upon anyone.

I feel numb as I stumble through the house. A few people glance in my direction as my eyes scan the room. I instantly see Jai and Finn to my right. Jai is gripping his shoulders and speaking with him. I know it's about me.

"Hey!" I hear my best friend's voice call out to me. "Where did you run off to?"

I swivel my eyes and see Kiarra bounding towards me, a light smile on her face and her cheeks sporting a soft pink tone. Her face falls instantly when she sees mine.

"Is? What's wrong?" she asks urgently.

I'm not sure whether it's her familiar kindness, her worried expression or the fact that her touch is one of the most comforting things in the world - whatever it is - I am quick to let the tears that have welled inside my eyes pour down my face.

Her arms wrap securely around me and I let myself cry. I begin to ramble an explanation to her, hardly drawing a breath as I do.

She steps back, her mouth hanging open.

"Samara said what?" her voice is shocked as she stares at me.

I nod weakly, unable to repeat Samara's horrible words to me one more time tonight. A look of fury crosses Kiarra's face.

"She is not going to get away with this," she snarls and I have honestly never seen my best friend this angry before.

Her slender fingers pierce my skin as she drags me towards the kitchen. When we enter, Jai is still conversing somewhat seriously with my brother. Alec has a cigarette in his mouth as he leans on the kitchen counter next to Samara, who is running her hand up his arm.

"How dare you!" Kiarra's voice is cold and deadly as she walks up to Samara.

She wrenches her arm away from Alec. Samara's dark eyes turn to Kiarra in surprise.

"How dare you," she repeats, her hands balling into fists at her sides. "This girl, right here," she continues and points at me. A number of people have quietened around us and have gathered closely, to watch the argument. Even the music has been lowered. "Has so much love and kindness in her. Much more than I can say for you."

I stand there, stunned. I feel like this fire that is pouring out of Kiarra right now, has been caused by a series of bottled up feelings inside her, that have snowballed to breaking point. This last moment of Samara's behaviour towards me, has made her snap.

"Kiarra, save it," Samara whips back, planting her hand on her hip and rolling her eyes. "This isn't about me and you."

"You are a hypocritical bitch," Kiarra hisses at her through her teeth.