❦ - seven.

riley spent her thursday afternoon doing homework with cleo. she hadn't seen ethan all day due to his sports and he was all she was thinking about. she missed his presence so trying to ignore him wasn't working.

riley came to the conclusion that ethan wasn't helping her, just making her worse. she was inexperienced and desperate, barely knowing how to love herself. ethan was right. it was always something she's never admitted out loud. mostly because she didn't have anyone to tell besides cleo.

riley's phone dinged, signaling a text message making her slightly hopeful, but she ignored it thinking it was cleo's. cleo picked up her phone – a best friend thing – eyes growing wide at the message.

ethan;
i miss you babe.

"um, ri. can you explain this to me? because i'm shook." cleo laughed, handing riley's phone over to her.

"what?"

riley read the message, immediately finding herself blushing. "oh, that."

"you didn't tell me you guys were now calling each other babe. this is something serious."

"something like that." riley shrugged, typing a reply back. she had no idea what she and ethan even were.

riley;
i miss you too.

ethan;
practice is fun and all
but i'd rather be w you.

riley;
that's sweet of you
but you're really good
at sports

ethan;
i'll make it up
to you soon.

riley;
really?

ethan;
mhm. we can
do something fun

riley;
and do what?

ethan;
whatever as long
as we're together.

riley;
and food. as
long as there's food.

ethan;
yes riles i'll
have food for you

riley;
lit

ethan;
what are you
doing rn?

riley;
homework w/
cleo

ethan;
i'm not distracting
you right?

riley;
nope you aren't

ethan;
i don't believe u, text
me when you're done

"do you like him?" cleo asked with a grin playing on her lips. she knew riley would fall for the boy, she only hoped ethan wasn't messing with her emotions.

riley felt her cheeks heat up and shook her head. "i-i don't know."

cleo groaned, looking down at her phone that just vibrated in her jean pocket. "my mom is here."

"aw," riley pouted, closing her notebook. "i'll see you at school. maybe we can hang out this weekend."

"you know it, rih."

✧.*

"riles, please come." ethan sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"i don't know about that ethan." riley unintentionally paced around her room while on facetime with him.

"for me? i said i'd make up some time with you." he explained to her, trying to persuade her into coming to the football game.

stubbornly, she let out a breath, looking at the amused boy on her screen. "fine."

"sweet." ethan smiled, knowing he would get her to say yes.

"what do i wear?" she questioned, staring across the room at her closet door. she had too many clothes, none for football games.

"riley, it's a football game. everybody wears shorts and our school colors."

she grimaced, making him chuckle a bit. "i hate green and yellow."

"too bad."

"i'm doing this for you. you better win." riley huffed, digging through her closet for a school spirit shirt.

"don't we always?" ethan grinned,
a finger playing at his lips as he watched her through his screen.

"i wouldn't be so conceited. also this is a one time thing."

"wow, if i were your boyfriend you wouldn't come to any of my games at all?" ethan spoke, catching her off guard.

riley hid her face out of the screen, trying not to let ethan see how flustered he just made her. "you're not my boyfriend, ethan." she mumbled.

"i know. but rhetorically speaking, you wouldn't come cheer me on?" he said slowly, making sure she heard him right.

"it's not about not cheering you on. it's more of a 'it's not you, it's me' thing, if you know what i mean."

"yeah i get you." he chuckled with a nod. he knew riley wasn't comfortable being around so many people so he understood.

she sighed, going over to her bed and jumping on it lazily. "i don't have a recent school shirt."

"i'll give you one, don't worry about it." ethan said with a yawn making riley smile. he looked super young when he's sleepy. she thought it was cute.

"tired?" she questioned him, being kinda sleepy herself. after all it was 1:52 am and they had been on facetime for three hours now.

"somewhat." she could see him shrug.

she rolled her eyes, knowing he was fighting his sleep just to be on the phone with her. "go to sleep."

"i'm good." he spoke, yawning once again.

riley laughed at the stubbornness coming from him. "ethan, just go to sleep."

"okay fine. i'll see you tomorrow." ethan groaned, giving in to riley.

"goodnight, ethan."

"night riles."

++

lol i finally updated