❦ - twenty three.

riley's christmas with ethan went really well. it was extra special to her since she never spent holidays with a loved one like this. it was now close to new years and riley decided to spend the night at cleo's and ethan was out a at a party.

it was one in the morning when she got a text from ethan. he was at taylor's party with his friends. as much as he dragged her out everywhere she couldn't be bothered with a party. it just wasn't her forte.

ethan;
rilessss baby

riley;
yes?

ethan;
i need u here.

riley;
alright??

ethan;
i'm prettty fucced up

annd all i want es youu

riley;
you need to go home.

ethan;
nahh

"cleo, i'm gonna go help ethan. you'll be okay for a few right?" riley asked cleo while throwing on some presentable clothes.

"of course. go ahead, be safe."

the party was a few streets away from cleo's so riley decided to just ride her skateboard there. riley had no idea on what ethan to expect but she could definitely tell something was off with him.

riley walked through the front door to the party ignoring the weird looks she got from the older teens although some were used to seeing her around ethan.

"riley!" taylor called out to her from the hall. she turned around seeing him wave her over. "he's in here. we've tried to take him home but he keeps calling for you instead."

"oh hey." she smiled at taylor. she stepped in the room seeing ethan slumped on the couch. riley sighed wondering how he got himself that way as she sat next to him. "ethan, it's riley."

"baby girl, i knew you'd come," ethan sat up, reaching out for riley. he laid his head on her chest while pouting. she never knew he'd turn into a big baby whilst drunk. "you should get me out of here." he said with slurred words.

"well you have to stand for me. you're twice my size, ethan."

jack and arjay noticed, rushing over to take ethan from riley. "thank you." she smiled at them for helping.

"no worries. your boyfriend got drunk and can't even take care of himself." jack shook his head in disbelief.

walking out of the house, they got to ethan's jeep. riley grabbed the keys from his pocket. "wait, you can drive right?" arjay questioned her.

"mhm, i got my license recently." riley got in the drivers seat as the guys put ethan in the car.

"bless you," taylor chuckled at ethan in the back seat. "be safe."

✧.*

"you're a lifesaver riley. i have no idea why he wouldn't call me to begin with." grayson spoke in frustration as he helped ethan inside the house.

"i don't know either, it's fine though." riley shrugged. as long as she knew he was okay she was fine with that.

"he talks about you all the time. about how sweet you are and other other things he probably doesn't want me to tell you but i can really see why he says all those things." grayson smiled, putting a hand on her shoulder before leaving them alone.

riley walked into the room to place his keys on his desk. ethan grabbed a hold of riley's shirt, preventing her from going anywhere. "hey stay with me. i'll take you home in the morning."

"are you sure?"

"please," he moved, making room for her in the bed. riley kicked her shoes off before climbing in the bed beside ethan. he held her tight and close to him, letting his hands wonder on her body in a soothing way. "you drive me crazy riley, that's why i'm drunk."

"that's not a very good reason to be drunk, ethan." riley told him.

"i know but, fuck, i can never get you off my mind. i find myself thinking about you twenty-four seven. i love it. i love thinking about you but it tears me apart to think one day i won't have you. my future isn't guaranteed to be with you." ethan's chest rose and fell with rapid breaths. for once he was the one breaking this time.

"ethan–"

he grabbed the side of her face, making sure they were both looking at each other. "this is what living in the moment is, riley. i still remember you asking me about and i know for a fact i couldn't tell you much about it but this is it." he sighed, hoping she understood where he was coming from. "i need to cherish every fucking moment i get with you." ethan mumbled bringing her into a long passionate kiss.

after a moment, he pulled away, playing with her hair. "by the way i picked east shores university." ethan said quietly. esu was only a few hours away.

"that isn't so far." riley shrugged, looking up at him. in honesty she just cared that he picked somewhere to go and she wasn't stopping him.

"it's far enough from you and it shouldn't be."

++
sorry y'all i didn't forget about this book ! was slowly losing interest and i didn't want to write anything that i wouldn't like :)