❦ - thirteen.

the next day was spent on the lake. everyone had on their swimsuits, brought lunch and were ready for a good relaxing day. for once riley felt free. she felt mature and this experience was definitely something well needed.

by now riley had gotten out of the water and was sitting on a rock with the girls that had accompanied the trip. cindy, alix, macey, and naya. yes they were the same girls that made riley nervous when she first had to talk to ethan at lunch but after getting to know them today they were really nice. she wondered how ethan associated himself with so many nice people.

"psst." macey nudged naya as they both watched ethan do a flip into the water with the words "this is for riley!" macey and naya we're probably the biggest ethan and riley stans as they watched the two interract from afar.

riley was laughing at whatever dumb thing ethan was doing at the moment. macey couldn't keep it in any longer. "riley, are you and ethan together? we've never really heard you guys confirm it."

"nope, we're just friends." riley shrugged casually. again, she's never thought of being anything more the reason being that their friendship was strong.

"really? are you sure?"

"well he hasn't asked me to be anything. i'm also not even sure if he would want me to be his girlfriend." riley explained. at that moment she started to feel a certain way. she knew that her friendship with ethan was indeed more than a friendship.

"wow, you can't be serious." the girls complained that ethan was being dumb and that riley would be perfect for him. riley couldn't agree, mostly because she didn't think of it beforehand. she realized the feelings she was starting to feel for him were true. her mind wondered to the waterfall across the lake. it was literally how fast she was falling for him.

ethan swam closer to the rock the girls were sitting on

ethan swam closer to the rock the girls were sitting on. "hey riles, come here." riley climbed down the rock into the water where ethan was. she smiled as he wrapped his arm around her.

"you wanna go over there?" ethan motioned towards the waterfall. he's seen riley gazing at it for a while now and he could tell she wanted to go over to it.

riley glanced at him sheepishly. "okay, was i that obvious?"

"yeah you kept drooling over it," ethan chuckled, shaking his head. "but i know it's my duty to make sure you do things you want."

"how nice of you."

with riley following him through the water, he navigates her to the forest green waterfall. "wow, it's so breathtaking." riley grinned, eyeing the waterfall.

"it is but the real breathtaking view is you." ethan looks at her to agree with him with a smug look on his face.

"right." riley glanced at him weirdly for even thinking that. what she didn't know was that ethan really meant that. his main focus was on riley not the waterfall he's seen plenty of times.

ethan moved closer to riley, closing the gap between them. "i'm serious. riles, i like where we're going. i like that you're comfortable with me now and this side you've been hiding from everybody is coming out. i like you riley more than you realize. i like you more than i should. i'm more serious at times because i've always been gold to focus on sports but you allow a good side of me come out as well."

"ethan, i really don't understand where you're going with this." riley spoke, unsure about what was happening even though she had a clue.

ethan grabbed both of her hands, holding them firmly in his. "just be mine, riles. i want you to be mine and i want to be yours."

"are you serious?" she asked, taking it all in. she never would've guessed that ethan would like her that way from the way they stood weeks ago.

"would i really be joking about this? you're killing me, say yes or no."

"yes. of course i'll be yours but-"

"no buts riley. i don't care what anyone has to say, alright? don't worry about me, it's about us. i want to make you happy." he assured her warmly.

"okay, ethan. i won't." riley nodded, the feeling of being content now overwhelmed her.

ethan's mouth quirked up into a grin. "that's what i like to hear." he said before his face bent down slowly to hers, drawing her in and capturing her lips. riley's heart was beating so wildly the most she could do was take small sips of breath. the cold water didn't even seem cold anymore from the warmth of ethan's body on hers.

her tummy tingled and it was then she knew this feeling that she's only dreamt of. the feeling that seemed unimaginable. she's kissed ethan plenty of times but this one she knew for sure meant something more.

+ +

i'm trying to put out stuff
i'm okay with like i legit
wrote this chapter
so many times.

but it makes me happy
you guys even
like this weird ass book
soo we're gonna
keep going :)