❦ - twenty seven.

1 month later.

"soon you graduate high school.
then soon after that you'll leave for college. it's about to be all over. you've just walked the stage, got your diploma, shook some hands, and plan to go to lots of graduation parties.

but not long after that.... the people that you grew up with, that became your best friends will no longer be just a quick ten minutes away. going to see them will become a road trip. one by one your friends will start to leave as they go to move in and start their next chapter. your find friends map won't just be a big cluster of faces anymore. you'll have to zoom out to be able to see everyone.

there won't be anymore late nights texting your boyfriend or girlfriend to meet for a slushee or ice cream. no more sprinting to class so you won't get another tardy. no more going to eat all together after games. no more playing in those games. no more lunches spent with your best friends. no more listening to your principal on the intercom every single day. no more proms or homecomings. no more dress code. no more screaming at the top of your lungs every friday night.

i know it's cliche but true... high school really does fly by. the days are long (sometimes really, really long) but the days are so, so short. enjoy all the lasts. the last day of high school, the last test you take, the last game you play, the last sleepover with your best friends.

enjoy graduation, because it's a last in itself. its the last time you will see majority of the people you went to school with. enjoy the little time left you have left in your hometown, because soon you'll be using gps everywhere you go. but most of all enjoy the little time you have left with your best friends because soon, it's all over."

grayson, this year's valedictorian, finished his speech off with a smile as he just sent everyone in their feelings. riley included as she sat with the dolan family, watching the ceremony. occasionally she'd secretly let out a little tear or send heart gestures with their hands back and forth with ethan.

✧.*

"you look so good, baby." ethan told riley, wrapping his arm around her waist, looking down at her. she smiled, "thanks. you look better though."

"not a chance against you." he held her hand as they met back up with grayson to head back to the car. the boys decided they just wanted to do dinner with their family instead of doing anything big.

"hey, ri." grayson came over from his friends, giving riley a big hug. "gray, your speech was amazing. you actually slid ethan and i in there some kind if way." riley told him.

"no, he really called us out up there." ethan shook his head jokingly as if what grayson said offended him. the three made their way to ethan's car.

"needed something good to say." grayson shrugged with a smile. he adored his brother's and riley's relationship after getting to know riley more and more.

"i'm super proud of you guys though. i already know there's gonna be big things on the way. you'll both always have my support no matter what." riley told them as they hopped into the car. she was getting emotional for them to be honest.

"aww, that's so nice riley." grayson told her from the passenger seat.

"i mean it's true, being with you guys changed my life and i'm gonna miss seeing you two every day." she sighed, laying back in the seat.

ethan felt overwhelmed hearing his girlfriend talk like that. "okay, why are my eyes watering?"

"don't worry. i'm already ahead of you," grayson laughed, running a hand through his hair as if he were stressed. "but yeah, this is gonna be weird. i still remember the first time ethan told me about you. i didn't know who you were since we're in different grades but i'm glad we met you. i don't know how you're going to do it, bro. riley is really your soulmate."

riley gazed at ethan as he drove. "ethan does a lot a great things and this is one of them. i don't like goodbyes but i know this is actually a good one. i don't necessarily like being in the way of something so he shouldn't feel a way towards me about leaving."

"oh come on, put that aside riley. you've made a bond with us plus our friends so of course we'll all miss you." grayson explained to her.

"and you're not getting rid of us just yet." ethan glanced back at riley. "we still have the whole summer."

++
welp since this is coming to an end, don't forget to check out my other stories. "orphic" (noah centineo) is kinda similar to this and then there's "catching feelings." (olan prenatt/mid90s) i wanna start being consistent with updates on those go go read, vote, comment, allat!

i appreciate all the support on this story fr guys 💗