Chapter 1 ~ The Past

[Louis]

Two years. It had been two entire years since Harry auditioned for The X Factor and received three yeses from the judges. It had also been two years since Harry became famous and broke his promise about staying with me forever.

At first, I had been really devastated. I had watched Harry on television every Saturday, knowing that he hadn't tried to contact me ever since he left for boot camp. But, what hurt even worse was when I witnessed him thanking his family and relatives (by name) for everything they had done for him on television but not me when I was sitting on the couch, watching the whole thing together with his family.

Anne had tried to reassure me that Harry was just busy and would interact with me as soon as he was free, but unfortunately, that time never came. Harry was always busy. If it weren't rehearsals, it was singing lessons, and if it weren't that either, it was hanging out with his 'new' much 'cooler' friends. At least that was what I assumed.

I had missed my now - what I assumed to be - ex-boyfriend so much that I had even cried himself to sleep the first five weeks without him. And knowing Harry didn't miss me at all made it even worse. I couldn't believe how my best friend since birth and boyfriend had just downright forgotten about me in the blink of an eye. We had been so close, hanging out every second of every day, and he had been able to just forget about that?

Nowadays though, I had gotten better. I didn't stay up late at night to keep an eye on my phone in case Harry would call or just send me a text. I didn't have the energy to hope for something that extreme to happen any longer. He had forgotten about me, and there was nothing I could do about it.

During the first three weeks, I had even tried calling him several times, but it had always gone to voicemail and he hadn't bothered to call me back. I had also tried talking to him when I was there, on the fifth show in the audience, but fate had decided to be cruel and didn't even let him get a glimpse of me, or so that was what I thought at least.

I had now lost all my hope of getting my closest friend and boyfriend back, and had instead found myself two new friends; Niall and Zayn, Niall being the closest to me. None of them was any Harry though, and I knew for sure they would never be. But they were enough, enough for me to finally be happy again.

Believe it or not, but I had actually even got myself a girlfriend. Since Harry had been able to forget about me so easily, I thought that I might as well try to forget about him too. It wasn't working very well though, but no one had to know about that.

I would still visit Harry's family occasionally. I had practically lived at their place throughout my entire childhood and youth, so Anne and Robin were like my own parents and Gemma like my own sister. I couldn't keep myself from staying away from them. It wasn't only because I loved them so much, but also because they were the closest people I could come to Harry, and I didn't want to lose all connection I had with my ex-boyfriend.

Anne and Robin seemed to love me too, like their own son judging by the way they treated me. They always seemed so happy when I would come over to visit them. I was like a memory of Harry, they had said, and they all missed him so much since he was never able to visit them due to preoccupation nowadays.

Anne would always have this look on her face when I was over to chat with them. She seemed concerned, concerned about the fact that her son had let go of me so easily, or it was just sympathy. However, I knew that she had always been so sure that we were meant to be together considering we had always been the best of friends and had also gotten along so well, but she probably didn't think so anymore. Harry had not interacted with me in over two years after all, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.