Chapter 3 ~ The Bracelets

[Louis]

It was a summer day in July, and Harry and I were at our usual place by the lake. We were sitting in the oak tree, listening to the sounds of birds chirping. The sun was shining brightly in the sky, sending a wave of heat over us.

We had just gotten there, a little later than usual since mom had intended to make lunch later than she usually did. Nonetheless, the two of us were here now, and that was all that mattered.

"Hey, Lou?" Harry mumbled to me who was sitting on a branch below.

"Yeah?"

"Do you find necklaces, bracelets and such girly?" He asked, biting his bottom lip anxiously.

"Um, I guess not, why?" I replied, looking up at him.

"I just thought, since we've been friends for such a long time, that... Eh, never mind," he said, making a hand motion for me to drop the subject.

"Please Haz, tell me," I pleaded, not liking when he was afraid to tell me something. We were best friends, we could tell each other anything without having to be afraid that the other would laugh or make fun of us.

Harry hesitated for a while, scratching the back of his neck before stuffing his hand into his jean pocket cautiously. "I've got something for you," he confessed, pulling out his hand again, only this time, he had a silver chain in it. "It's nothing major, I just saw a similar one in a storefront and um... thought of you." His cheeks were flushed as he showed me the bracelet that had a link connected to it. The link had the words 'Haz and Lou forever' engraved.

I couldn't do anything but gape at my best friend as I reached out a shaky hand towards the silver chain. "Wow, Haz, it's amazing," I breathed, taking the bracelet in my hand.

I examined every single part of it before finally looking up at him again. "Could you help me put it on?" I asked hopefully, smiling at Harry with big bright eyes.

His lips twitched upwards into a smile as he helped me clasp the chain around my wrist. "I actually have the same one myself, look." He showed me his left wrist where there was indeed a bracelet just like the one I was now wearing.

"Like best friend bracelets," I beamed.

"Exactly."

I snapped my eyes open, looking down at my right wrist where the same chain I'd received from Harry three years ago still was. I had never taken it off apart from when I showered since I didn't want to wear it out. You could still see the imprinted words 'Haz and Lou forever' pretty clearly, even if they were slowly fading.

I didn't know why I hadn't taken it off yet. What the link said wasn't even true. There was no 'Haz and Lou forever' anymore. However, I just didn't have the heart to do it. The bracelet had always meant so much to me, and taking it off had never even been an option, not even now when Harry wasn't talking to me anymore.

Sighing heavily, I ran my fingers over the silver chain and remembered how we had used to show them off to people. We were proud of them for some reason I didn't know, but I guessed it was because we were such good friends and wanted to show everyone just how great friends we actually were.

I reached a hand up to my cheek, feeling how hot tears were slowly leaving my eyes. I didn't want to cry - Harry didn't deserve my tears - but it was hard not to when all these memories came flooding back to my mind.